What's new

DVDs Bought out of Childhood Memories (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Boggy Creek is available on an MAR disc (which i bought),
but i wasn't aware that MM was avaialble-
if it is i would order it this minute.
caught it on TBS a few years back and it was just as amusing as when i was a kid.

i make a lot of Nostalgia based purchaes.
in fact one of the MAJOR nostalgia titles on my wish list
Starcrash
just arrived in my mailbox a few hours ago.
part of the same order was Peter Falks The Brinks Job , a film i first saw around Christmas time on HBO when i was just a kid, but thats on back order at the moment.
$40 for the latter in a bare bones disc which must be the most i've ever spent so far on a 'nostalgia' orientated title.

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta mention School House Rock! BTW, I'm totally shocked at how much my 4 1/2 year old son loves it. It's very strange to listen to him singing the songs from the episodes.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The Transformers - Loved the action as a kid, funny as hell for the bad writing as an adult

The Goonies - Even better than I remembered it.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure - Good call by Patrick.

The Ghostbusters - Even funnier today.

I can honestly say there aren't too many films from my childhood that I cringe from having liked them. I always seem to find new ways of enjoying them (e.g. The Transformer).

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Teen Wolf. Unfortunately getting this movie on DVD also requires me to own the dreadful remake...errrr, sequel.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I have quite a few movies which fall into this category--too many to list, actually. One I've been planning on buying but haven't gotten around to yet is Hawk the Slayer. I'll also get Cloak & Dagger, Night Patrol, and possibly The World's Greatest Athlete and Super Fuzz for the same reason.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I bought the DVD of Remo Williams because I f***ing loved it when I was a kid. Unfortunately it's been downgraded by my adult critical faculties. It's kinda kitschy, but it's full-frame. :frowning:

Jaws 2 --loved watching the shark eat a helicopter and the occasional teenager!

Squirm--it's scared the hell outta me when I was 8!

Space: 1999--trippy sci-fi show where everybody wears bell-bottoms on the moon. Martin Landau's best performance ever. :D

Rock 'n Roll High School--my first exposure to the Ramones, the Greatest Punk Rock Band Ever TM.

Lifeforce--naked space vampires. My brother and I high-fived at our unbelievable luck.

I'd love to see DVD releases for Alligator, Orca and Night of the Comet--they freaked me out completely!

:)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
From watching our old Admiral 17" radio-tv-phongraph combination in the 50s:

Lost Horizon
Frankenstein
Bringing up Baby (laserdisc)
Philadelphia Story
King Kong (laserdisc)
HG Welles Things to Come

From the 35 cent Saturday matinees at the Travis theater on Texas Street in Fairfield CA:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (50 cents 'cause it was Disney)
Lady and the Tramp (ditto)
Swiss Family Robinson
Ben Hur
Spartacus
Cleopatra
Fall of the Roman Empire (laserdisc)
Pit and the Pendulum
Fall of the House of Usher
Masque of the Red Death
Some other American International/Vincent Price stuff.
Irma La Douce
The Great Race

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
From childhood
  • GI Joe: the movie
  • TRON
GI Joe is downright aweful though. i didn't even realize then that Don Johnson did one of the voices. I still think thats hilarious.
I'd buy more, but my sister seems to take care of my need to watch my childhood memories. i'll definitely pick up Flight of the Navigator when it comes out. :)

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I was blessed with parents that only would show me classic movies growing up. So here it goes:

1. Indiana Jones Trilogy
2. Casablanca
3. The Goonies (it's a classic for any 80's child)
4. Adam's Rib
5. Key Largo
6. Flight of The Navigator
-and I only own the first 2 of these!
-I would buy Dark Night of The Scarecrow in a seconnd if it were released. My parents recorded this off of the tv when it first aired and I found it one glorious halloween while going through all the tapes looking for a scary movie. For a 7 year-old it was very scary. i revisit every halloween at 3AM on TBS. Warner needs to release this.

I remember always renting Sister Act at the old Video 2000(may it rest in peace) I should probably check that out again. A buddy of mine that has bad taste bought 3 Ninjas. I remember loving this but when I watched it, I put it as the #2 worst movie I have ever seen. The sad thing is that my buddy, Greg Winterrowd actually likes it. He really thinks it is a quality film. I guess that would make sense seeing as he thinks the same of all 3 Ninja Turtles movies and Ace Ventura.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I and II.
UHF
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Beauty and the Beast
Mr. Saturday Night
Stay Tuned
Hot Shots
Hot Shots part Deux
Short Circuit 1 and 2
ET

and soon to be Flight of the Navigator.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Several.

But I guess number one would be The Wizard of Oz. Back when I was a kid growing up in the sixties and seventies it would only come on once a year on CBS. I even taped the audio one year on an 8-track player we had. First chance I had I bought it on video. It still hasn't lost it's power to make me feel like a kid for a couple of hours when I watch it.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I recently bought Mazinkaiser Volume 1 and 2 from ADV Films. This anime is based on the classic from Go Nagai Mazinger Z. I watched everything single episode after school of Mazinger Z and is still one of my favorite shows of all time. Since they haven't released the classic episodes of Mazinger for Region 1, Mazinkaiser is the closest thing that I will have to that show.

Also on my wishlist is to buy the volume sets of the old Mexican children show "Chavo del 8" and "Chapulin Colorado" which are out on DVD.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the movies I have in my collection that are based on my childhood appreciation of them are ones that I still find great to this day. "E.T.", the Indiana Jones films, and "The Muppet Movie" are all films that I adored as a child and as I've grown up (literally, as opposed to figuratively-an idea that many would disagree with), my love for those films has only increased.

The only purely nostalgic purchase I have ever made that is still in my collection is "UHF." I was one of the ten people who actually saw it in a theater when I was a kid, and I laughed my ass off. It had been that long since I watched it when the DVD was announced and at ten bucks, I couldn't see a reason not to buy it. Thankfully, I still laughed at the movie and find it funnier now than I did when I was a kid.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum (and even though I know there's a TV on DVD forum for this, it is the only one that really applies for me) is "The Ben Stiller Show." I loved the show when I was a teenager during its first run on FOX. When the DVD was announced, I had my preorder in immediately. When I actually got the discs and started watching the stuff, I didn't find any of it funny anymore. I immediately sold it (after I'd watched every episode) and never looked back. Some of the stuff was still very funny (the "Counting with Bruce Springsteen" sketch will always be a favorite), but 95% of it just fell flat. But then, that's individual tastes for you.

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
Now that I'm finally starting to have less nightmares about "Jack the Giant Killer" (which I saw at a friend's Saturday matinee birthday party -seems like many of my childhood movies were at birthdays), I'm feeling brave enough to pick up the DVD just released last week, which Dick mentioned above. How is the transfer? Any special features?

MikeHughes

Agent
Hmmm, let's see:

Higlander (sold it afterwards because I couldn't believe I ever liked this dreck :angry: )
The Goonies (hasn't aged very well)
Rambo 2&3 (Oh boy :rolleyes:)
Big Trouble in Little China (well at least one movie that I like as much today as I did then :emoji_thumbsup: )
Excalibur (still one of the greatest fantasy movies there is)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
GI Joe - While somewhat corny, it's still a very good show
Transformers - I don't think this has aged quite as well as GI Joe
TMNT 1&2 - Not too bad
Ghostbusters 1&2 - Even better today
Batman - Both the movie from the 60's and the 1989 version. Still like them both

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Le Mans - one of the first movies I saw as a kid.
On Any Sunday - ditto.
Omega Man - Remembered this one from Saturday afternoon movies on TV.

and, um...

Battlestar Galactica - I think this one had more to do with pubescent memories of Laurette Spang. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks