DVDs blue through component

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Mahoney, May 29, 2002.

1. Jon Mahoney

Jon Mahoney Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a new HDTV Samsung last night. Everything was working fine until I plugged my DVD player (also Samsung) using the component cables. I can see the DVD playing and everything however everything is blue. I tried adjusting all the settings on the TV and DVD player still nothing. It works fine using svideo and regular RCA cables. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Step 1: With the component cables, check the connections to make sure you dont have them crossed and connected correctly.

Step 2: Test the component cables. These are just 3 Composite cables in a bundle. Test each individual cable by hooking it up with the Composite output and see if it works. One of the cables could be bad. (I'm assuming this is a brand-new cable).

Hope this helps.

3. Jon Mahoney

Jon Mahoney Stunt Coordinator

I'll try that after work. I did notice that if I only have the video cable in and the other 2 not plugged in the picture is greyscale and not in color. Is that normal?

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

That's normal. You were seeing the lumanince (sp?) part of the video signal...black and white. The other two cables are Pr and Pb for red and blue color difference I believe (i'm a video newbie, forgive me [​IMG] )
    So on your TV and DVD player you'll have three component connections Y, Pb, Pr. They may even be colored red, green and blue. Make sure you match Y to Y, Pb to Pb, Pr to Pr on the player to TV connections. Also read your manual and see if you have to change the input type to YPbPr instead of RGB on your TV.
    hth
    -edit- grammar

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer