DVDs at CompUSA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Apr 12, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I just wanted to let you all know that I work at a local CompUSA now and am pretty much in charge of their DVD section. So if anybody has any questions about what they might have or whatever, feel free to ask me...you may wish to send an email or PM, as I'm not here every day.

I don't think anybody here really cares about DVDs at CompUSA, but I just thought I would put that out there, just in case.

2. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

CompUSA used to carry a lot of DVD titles. But then a couple of years ago, they decided to have a "fire sale" on the titles. Cutting 95% of the titles to a $14.95 sale price, even the titles that normally sold for $49.95 went for $14.95. A few other titles were cut to $9.95 like Lost In Space.

As the months went on, individual CompUSA stores began their own price cuts. I went to a CompUSA in San Bernadino and scored Last Tango In Paris & The Piano for $5.00 each. They made great Christmas gifts.

4. Rodd Sato

Rodd Sato Extra

CompUSA's DVD efforts are half-a$$ed at best. Why do they even bother?

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Yeah, they looked like they were getting out of the DVD business. Now they're back into it. I have no idea why. In addition to the DVDs themselves, they've also got back the DVD players and some TVs. They had DVD players before, but what they have now is a much bigger, much more elaborate display that what I remember from before. At least, in the store I work, that is true.

I asked the manager when we were going to start carying washers and dryers, and he laughed.

The DVD selection is odd as well. I don't know what kind of people they think are going to buy DVDs there. Someone who responds to an add? Someone who will buy them on impulse? Someone who comes there specifically looking for them? I don't know. But I think they should focus on the titles that are hot right now. For example, they have Lockup and Capricorn One, both of which are good movies, in my opinion, but they don't have The Glass House or Joyride. Glass House and Joyride are both big sellers right now, certainly much bigger than Lockup or Capricorn One. Who's going to want Lockup and say to themself, let me check at CompUSA? Nobody. But if somebody is in the store for a new hard drive, for example, and they know they want Joyride, he might say to himself, let me check back there in case they have it, to save me the trip to Best Buy down the street.

Basically, their problem right now is they have a mish-mash collection of titles that gives them no identity. They need to either have a large and relatively complete selection, like Best Buy, or specialize in one area: older, harder to find titles, top sellers, new releases, etc., something that will make people say oh, I know I can get that at CompUSA.

They're also not very organized. They give us a section for Top Selers, and another for New Releases, but they don't tell us which titles to put in those sections.

We also only have the P&S version of AI. That was a big disappointment to me. That is the only title I know of that we carry only the P&S version of...all the other titles are either Widescreen, or both in the same package, or are P&S-only if that was the only format in which the title was released.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm willing to bet it's pretty much just going to be corporate sending you discs, I'm sad to say.

7. Don

Don Second Unit

did anyone go to the compusa website and see how much snow dogs is ouch !

8. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Jeff, not sure what you meant. Of course the corporate office selects the titles. I guess what I'm saying is since I can see no reason for you to post what I thought you meant, maybe you meant something else?

Don, that title isn't available yet, and won't be until the street date. Price is subject to change until then...and this isn't the only case where the initial price listed is quite different from what ends up being the real price. But yes, it's quite amusing. But in real life, our prices seem to be pretty comparable to the local Best Buy. BTW, don't use compusa.com as a guide for anything. Many of the things I've looked up so far, not just DVDs but all kinds of products, are more expensive through the website than they are in the store.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm just saying that being in charge of a section usually makes one a glorified stockboy, since corporate usually just decides for you what to order [​IMG]
    Jeff "Been there, done that" Kleist [​IMG]