1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVDs and the Ebay trust factor....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_S, Oct 6, 2002.

1. James_S

James_S Second Unit

(Mods please feel free to move or close if not appropriate)

I find myself not purchasing any DVDs off of Ebay anymore. I am scared of what I am going to end up with.

I’ve seen DVDs that people say that their region 1 and they never have been released in the US or Canada. People showing DTS for movies that have never been released with DTS, and on and on. I think I have pretty good knowledge of movies that have been and when they will be released and the content, But sometimes I want to send the highest bidder a e-mail and let him/her know that hey that movie has never been released in region 1 or you know you can buy this cheaper at ********** and so on.

Anyone else feel this way?

James

PS: Scarface CE DTS - come on now..who are we kidding??

2. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

I've purchased around 100 DVDs from Ebay, and I've only received 1 DVD-R copy. I reported the seller to Ebay, and he was BOOTED off...... then 2 weeks later, appeared with a new nickname.. Oh well.
    You just have to do your homework. Read the sellers feedback though some buyers won't know they have received a DVD-R copy. Read the fine print, and so some research on the DVDs you want. (ie Starwars 4/5/6 is NOT on DVD yet).
    Lastely, use all the ebay tricks to get good deals, so if you get an occational stinker, you won't mind as much.
    I still think Ebay is a great place. I just gave my wife a christmas list with 15 DVDs on it. I suspect she will get most from EBAY.... so we will see how many or legit.. [​IMG]

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Just a few weeks ago, I bought a "factory sealed" copy of A.I. It was sealed in a factory all right... just not the one who made it. This disc had been opened before and there were no security stickers on it. The disc were in perfect condition, so I kept them.

4. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

yep, I'm definitley wary of discs off Ebay now. I bought Goldeneye recently (before I knew they were being re-released) and when I got it, lo and behold it had a DTS track on it! LOL. Next time I'll check the box art before bidding (assuming that they post the real one anyway).

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

My dads sold a few dvd's for me on ebay with his account. He never gives the details of the disc, just the title as it appears on the box and then a scan of the box. He's sold all of them that I've put up there and all my dvd's are in perfect condition, I only sell the ones that I get special edition replacements for. So there are good sellers, just have to know what to look for.

6. Michael Pedrosa

I agree that part of the problem is buyer's lack of research or awareness. For example, I see many discs listed on ebay as DVD/VCD. Clearly, this is wrong. It's simply a VCD, and just because it's playable in a DVD player does not mean anyone should think of them as equivalent. This is just one of the obvious problems. People really need to do their research.
    (That's not to say that the sellers aren't misinformed, though. I firmly believe that some sellers list DTS or Criterion Collection (among other things) without having any idea what those things mean. They just see that discs with those descriptors sell and they figure their movies must have it, too.)

7. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Biggest thing to look for is a sellers location of Asia or anything that says Region 0, No Region Coding....steer clear of these.

I have bought ALOT of DVD's off of Ebay and never been screwed. However, I have definitely noticed that there are alot more bootlegs on there than you could find even 2 years ago.

8. John Cavacas

John Cavacas Agent

Speaking of which, anyone else see this?
    link to ebay removed
    What the heck are those? I mean it has to be a scam but just how good of a scam? [​IMG]

9. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

I think links to EBAY are forbidden, but yes those not NOT legal.
    Usually, sellers who sell those are kicked off ebay within a week, so it makes me wonder if the DVDs would even show up!

But, in case your curious, those particular ones are just copies of the laserdisc. The DTS track is terrible because it was converted from the Dolby track. Obviously just a gimmick.
    I'd recommend buying the legal VCDs of StarWars if your player can play them. They are OK for ~$20 for all 3. Or, buy a used LD player from ebay ($10-15), and then the SW laserdiscs (the only to get the "original" versions).

10. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

[double post deleted]

While I am editing, I wonder if people have had good luck with used DVDs from half.com and amazon.com.

Whenever I do searchs, alot show up as region-0 and promotional.....

11. John Cavacas

John Cavacas Agent

Sorry, wasnt aware that posting a link to ebay was a no no. I removed the link.

Thanks for the info.

John

12. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I've rarely had a bad experience on eBay either as buyer or seller. Of the three thousand or so items I've sold during the past three years, only about a half-dozen wound up being relisted because a buyer defaulted (the post office has screwed up more frequently than that getting the stuff delivered); I've NEVER received an item I have purchased that was bogus or below the quality in the desciption. I don't think this is just because I'm lucky -99.9% of eBay bidders and sellers are honest and forthright, which is helluva bigger percentage than in general population!

13. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Just had a bad DVD experience on E-Bay.

I bid on a DVD. The picture made it look brand new since a description sticker was on the scan.

It came. It was a freakin promotional DVD and the idiot seller who happens to have 600+ Positives put the DVD in those Priority Mail envelopes and sent it. Thus the bottom of case is cracked beyond repair.

I am waffling between a neutral and a negative feedback. Maybe just neutral since I did get it.

14. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Have you emailed the seller about your dissatisfaction? He just might be able to do something for you to earn a positive review.

15. John Cavacas

John Cavacas Agent

Well, I'm in the process of trying to buy the HK horror movie called "The Eye" from ebay. Lets see how it goes. This will be my first DVD purchase from ebay.

John

16. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Selling and buying for over 3 years. A few problems, but nothing to stop me from still buying.

17. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

My experiences with eBay were mostly positive. I stopped buying DVDs there because the bidding was too high. It was cheaper to buy from an online vendor. I stopped selling on eBay because it was too much effort given the low dollar amounts involved. Now if I upgrade a title or make a mistake buying a title, I give it to my brother-in-law who is just starting his DVD collection.
    fyi... MSNBC investigative report on how eBay handles reports of fraud...
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/809148.asp

18. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul

19. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

20. John Cavacas

John Cavacas Agent

Got "The Eye" for $12 shipped. Should be arriving sometime early next week. So far so good. Thanks for the link though, i'll have to check it out.

John