DVDs and CDs with PS2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin Walmsley, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Colin Walmsley

Does anyone know if the quality of cd's and dvd's would be greatly improved by playing them in an actual dvd player, such as the panny rp82, or the sony ns755, rather than playstation 2. Those are the two im deciding between, and im trying to decide if it would be worth the $200+ id have to spend. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Iver

Iver Second Unit

I'm really not familiar with the video output quality of the PS2, though DVD players tend to have uniformly excellent picture quality.

The PS2 is interlaced-output only, so if you have an HDTV or HD-ready TV, you'd have the advantage of the RP82's progressive-scan video output. If your TV is a regular interlaced model, the prog-scan mode won't do anything for you (it actually won't play on your TV at all).

As far as CD sound quality, the RP82 or Sony model you mentioned may have a higher-quality DAC than the PS2. However, when you use a digital connection from either the PS2, RP82, or the Sony model DVD player, the sound quality will all depend on the DAC in your pre-pro or receiver.

In other words, when playing a CD with a digital connection the audio quality will be identical no matter which disc player you use to generate the digital bitstream.

3. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

As Iver said, the difference in noticeable quality will really depend on your other equipment - your TV, your receiver, your speakers, etc.

What equipment do you have right now??

4. Colin Walmsley

I have a cheap tv, but denon 1603 receiver, five jbl s-series speakers, and im expecting a dls 10" sub. How will a change of dvd/cd players affect my audio right now.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

My PS2 has the dreaded 'chroma bug', which shows up as dot crawl in reddish colors.

6. Jason Bosch

Jason Bosch Agent

I don't know if you also have this problem, but my ps2 had a problem playing 3/4's of my dvds. Around the last 3rd of most movies it would lock up and glitch all the time. I damn near threw it out the window. LoL For me getting a normal DVD player was a very good choice, and a way to calm my fraying nerves towards that machine. It's still alive and playing my games just fine. So I'd highly recommend getting one. Plus I bet it'll up the life expectancy from your PS2.

7. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

In my opinion, the DVD-Video quality of the PS2 is below average.You would likely find noticably better video quality with many stand-alone DVD-Video players. The XBOX does do a bit better with DVD-video quality, but not by a whole lot.

8. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

The PS2 DVD video quality isn't that great actually for a DVD player it's pretty bad but still better than VHS. One thing to note neither the PS2 or Xbox will play burned discs of any kind so if you have any copied cd's they won't work in the PS2. I think this some way to stop people from burning video games and playing them without buying them so in order to stop that they just won't play cd-rs.

Daniel Smith

9. Colin Walmsley

My ps2 does play burned cd's. I have played many and they work fine. I know the video quality is not as good as a real dvd player, but im more concerned with the audio.

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

My PS2 will play DVD-R but not DVD+RW.
    When playing game discs, somehow it knows if it's an original or copy so that it won't play copied games.

11. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

Right now I'm using a PS2 as a DVD/CD player, and the audio, at least with CD's , sucks. This is using the player's analog outputs, haven't tried a digital connection. The sound is bright and thin, presumably because the PS2 has cheap DAC's and other digital components (it is a video game system after all). But your equipment's resolution will have a big impact on what it will sound like in general. I would bet that a regular CD player or higher quality DVD player will have a more appealing sound.

12. Matt Nevala

Matt Nevala Stunt Coordinator

If you have your ps2 connected with the digital optical cable i thinkt he cd sound quality is decent, although i do agree that the video playback is a little lacking for DVDs even with the s-video connected. i run the s video for my video and optical for sound and its good enough for me. im going to buy a dvd player when i see a progressive scan one for $50. untill then the ps2 will do.

13. Colin Walmsley

I do have the optical cable hooked up, so i guess im going to hold off on buying a new dvd player for now. Thanks for the help.