DVDR to use w/DVR

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by STLMIKE, Feb 8, 2004.

1. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

I've got the Dish Network DVR and want to get a DVDR to back up programs.

I've been looking at the Panasonic E50 in black -- however this unit doesn't have its own hard drive. If all I'm doing is connecting the DVD recorder to the digital video recorder, is having a hard drive on the DVD recorder really necessary?

The E50 is appealing for 2 reasons: 1 is that it's in black and 2 is the price.

Any advice??

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you want to edit out the commercials, yes it is. With the DVD only model, you record the commercials but you then mark them as a skipped chapter. You don't see them but they still take up space on the disc. My solution is to use the PC. I'm in the process of running coax from my theater room to my office. I'll do the editing and DVD burning on the PC.

-Robert

3. STLMIKE

Running the coax to my office isn't really an option, however the commercials really aren't a big consideration for me.

My plan was to store up programs I want to archive on the DVR, and then start one to backup onto DVD overnight -- so I wouldn't be up to edit out the commercials anyway.

One question on setting the skipped chapters, I wasn't aware you could do this. Does this have to be done while the disc is copying, or can it be done later?

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    After you record to disc, but, before you finalize the disc you can mark the start and end points of a segment you don't want and erase it. I have not tried this function yet. I don't know how playback responds to an erased segment.

5. STLMIKE

OK, so DVDRs work like CDRs in that after you record on the disc, you have to finalize it before you can play it on another DVD player...

What about building in chapter stops, can that also be done before the disc is finalized?