1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVDProfiler Tech help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Hirsch, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I had my 300-DVD collection inventoried in DVDProfiler.
    My computer crashed last week, and I ended up doing a restore of Windows 98 without having to re-format, so all my files should still be intact, except for email, browser bookmarks, address book etc. (thanks, Microsoft [​IMG] [​IMG]).
    The DVDPro shortcut folder is still on my computer, but when I click to open DVD Profiler, it asks for the registration key, as if I'm installing it for the first time!! Since I lost all my email files in the restore, I don't have a registration key anymore.
    More importantly - how do I "restore" my DVD collection (and save myself the HOURS it took to catalog it!) that should still be in a DVDProfiler file somewhere on my computer??
    Thanks for any help.

2. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

The DVD Profiler website does have, in its Download section, a database repair applet. Maybe that would help.

As for the registration problem, if you have the freeware version, just register again, get a new number, and plug it in. If it's the for-pay version, then maybe a post to the DVD Profiler forum on its website might do the trick.

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Also if you've recently uploaded the MyProfiler information, you can download it all from My Profiler if you really have lost the data - it should give you all the profiles up to date. But that's only applicable if you utilize the Online Listing feature.

4. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Thanks-
    I'd forgotten compeletely about My Profiler. I'm pretty sure I DID upload my collection for backup, just for this kind of contingency - but didn't remember it when I needed it. (Duh!)
    Isn't it fun, re-doing all this stuff when the great "productivity tool", the computer, completely crashes and trashes years of work that was supposed to permanently saved?[​IMG]

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

6. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I run four operating systems and I was interested in porting over my DVD Profiler database from Windows NT Server (where I started it) to Windows XP Professional (where I wanted to maintain it thence).

To do this, I installed DVD Profiler, registered it, and then recovered all of the database files from my Windows NT partition and simply copied them into the DVD Profiler folder in Windows XP. I figured, "Whelp, if it crashes, it crashes." Amazingly, DVD Profiler started right up and my entire collection was there. I did the database repair anyway, just to be safe. All I had to do was re-download all the box cover images.