What's new

DVDpedia or Delicious Library (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also tried both and there are things I like about both, but I will be using my iSight camera for input and DVDpedia was horrible at it. I am trying to be patient and wait for the new version of Delicious library that should be coming out around the same time as Leopard.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

Glad to hear it things worked out with DVDPedia!

Just keep in mind that DL 2.0 will come out AFTER Leopard. It is Leopard only, so it can only come out after. Delicious Library developer Wil Shipley says: "...I damn sure am not going to have DL2 out of beta by then [end of May?] because it's not even in beta because contrary to rumors it's not done..." So it might be a while. Quote taken from Shipley's entertaining blog.

Ted

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I know it might be a bit, but I am willing to wait. The iSight scanning was so poor on DVDpedia. For those who already have other ways of bringing in titles, I am sure it is fine.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I use Delicious Library and love it. The only problem is speed. I've only got about 500 movies in there and it is slow. I'm running on a G5 Quad with 3GB of RAM so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm hoping DL 2.0 will fix this problem.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I also use Delicious Library and love it. I'm not sure why Chad's runs slow but I have 525 DVDs on a G5 chip iMac and it runs fine.

When is 2.0 coming out?

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I've never figured it out either. The Library I'm using now started out on a Mac Mini (which was about as slow as the G5 is) and then moved to a Powerbook and then on to the G5. It's never run any faster in any of the steps up. I've considered erasing the entire program and starting over with it to see if that helps, but scanning 500+ dvds again isn't something I have time for right now.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i decided to take another look at dvdpedia.

i tried to put the bestbuy spider-man blu ray into it but pedia cant find it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Out of curiosity, I gave DL a spin. My DVD collection is but a hundred or so, so scanning wouldn't be too burdensome. But I had three main problems, using DL with a new MBP in the office at night:
* DL's scanner was very finicky and often refused to scan DVDs
* Many of my DVDs don't have barcodes to scan
* No decent way to export the database to a PDA

So, we'll keep with my wife's manual logging of DVDs in SplashShopper.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so i guess you can go right to your list on your iphone.
from your .nac acc't

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've debated switching to DVDpedia. Partly because I find Delicious Library a bit slow with just 600 titles, but mostly because I'm growing impatient for Delicious Library 2 and I'm somewhat fed up with Wil Shipley's aloof attitude about doing some sort of feature upgrades to the 1.x version while we are still waiting for 2.0. It's been how many years since any new features have been added to Delicious Library?

Still, I read stuff like THIS and I tell myself it will only be a few more months.

Plus, Apple really seems to like Mr. Shipley's program and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a "Delicious Library" button/app on the iPhone (and future iPods) some day. I picture Apple buying the company!

So... I sit here waiting.

Mark

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I thought DL2 is only going to work under Leopard? If so, how can the guy be expected to release a product for an OS that won't even be out until October?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Yep... 2.0 will require Leopard. But that doesn't excuse the fact that Delicious Monster SHOULD have offered some feature improvements in the form of 1.x versions while we WAIT for 2.0 and Leopard.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks