DVDO IScan-What Does It Really Do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WaltL, Aug 22, 2001.

1. WaltL

WaltL Extra

Since I am relatively knew to this HDTV stuff and am looking into getting an HDTV 16:9 set and do most of my viewing on Directv, still use a vcr, and have a decent amount of laserdiscs; I have read that the DVDO IScan might be something I should look into to help the nondigital signals look decent.
    As I have come to understand, the DVDO IScan is a line doubler. But what exactly is it, what are its uses, and how would it benefit me?
    Thanks!

2. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

A DVDO iScan line doubles 480i to 480p. (480i is 240 lines drawn in 1/60th of a second, then 240 lines between those drawn in the next 1/60th of a second, whereas 480p is all 480 lines drawn every 1/60th of a second.) The primary advantage of this line doubling is that it removes the scan lines, which are especially annoying on large projection sets. (On a very large set, you can still slightly see the 480p scan lines, and you may wish to go for a 600p or 1080i scaler.) For film-based content, including most movies and many shows like Babylon 5, a DVDO iScan Pro switches into 3:2 pulldown mode. This compensates for the different frame rate between TV and movies, resulting in a more detailed picture with smoother playback. Subjectively I'd say 3:2 pulldown is about a 15% improvement in effective resolution.
    The DVDO iScan Pro is a significant improvement over the v2, which is a huge improvement over the original. Get a Pro, used if cost is a concern.
    A DVDO iScan does the same thing that a progressive DVD player does, but a DVDO iScan does it for all your sources. A DVDO iScan Pro does the same thing that a HDTV's internal line doubler does, but the DVDO iScan Pro is better than almost any HDTV's internal line doubler, except the Pioneer Elite's, and even then the iScan Pro is about equal. Depending on what set you buy, you may wish to get a DVDO iScan Pro right away or not until later or possibly never - Mitsubishi, Philips, and RCA sets need help, whereas Pioneer Elite, Sony, and Toshiba sets don't get as much improvement.
    A DVDO iScan Pro plus an interlaced DVD player basically gives you a progressive DVD player, though a top notch progressive DVD player will give you a slightly better picture. The DVDO iScan Pro is reported to do an especially good job on laser discs. And it will also work on your VCR tapes, but ick, you'll probably be getting away from those once you get into DVD.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

3. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

Then given you have a TV capable of 480p(HDTV capable tv basically), you can use a DVDO IScan device to give you a progressive scan DVD/VHS/cable signal, correct?
    I'm going to get a progressive scan TV soon, but don't have a progressive scan DVD. Sounds like DVDO IScan would take care of that problem and improve my other sources as well. With only S-Video out on my DVD player, will the picture still be almost as good as a progressive scan DVD player with component out?
    ------------------

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Does the DVDO IScan offer any benefit to people who have analog TVs?

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you have a TV that does not specifically accept progressive scan input, the iScan (all versions) is of no use, and also you will not be able to take advantage of the progressive scan feature of progressive DVD players.
    Although progressive scan utilizes component video jacks, not all TV sets with component video jacks accept progressive scan a.k.a. 31.5 KHz scan rate a.k.a. 480p.
    Incidentally, an iScan will let you play video on any VGA computer monitor using DVD player, VCR, etc. Just flip the switch in back of the iScan for RGB as opposed to Y/Pb/Pr component video.
    More on line doublers: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on August 22, 2001 at 11:50 AM]

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor