1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

DVDO iScan Ultra Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tyson Burchak, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Tyson Burchak

Does anyone have any opinions about the DVDO iScan Ultra? Is it worth buying it over the pro? Thanks.

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

All I know is that I have an iScan Pro and it works well. The Ultra has more features and the aspect ratio zoom control for watching 4:3 letterbox stuff (VHS and LD) and non-anamorphic DVD's zoomed to fill your 16:9 TV or projector. Both the Pro and Ultra output 480p. The iScan HD is coming out and outputs 540 and 720p and also 1080i I believe.

3. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

I have one, absolutely no problems with it, love it and recommend it. I also have the Pro and the Ultra is a couple steps up. It has a lot of image tweaks you can do that are worthwhile and puts out a much cleaner image than the Pro. One nice feature, for example, if you have a DVD player with the chroma bug, the Ultra will eliminate it (or at least it masks it so that it's not perceptible). The edge enhancement and sharpness controls also work well, allowing you to sharpen the image a little without indroducing ringing. I now have a DVD player that does 1080i and have mostly switched my system over to 1080i components (including VCR and HD tuner) and because of this the Ultra doesn't get used as much as before, but I still use it to wonderful effect with my laserdisc player and my DVD recorder.

I see I was writing at the same time as Chris. If the HD version is coming out, I'd recommend waiting for this; knowing DVDO, the new unit probably won't cost a lot more than the Ultra.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

There will be a price penalty too of course. I can see the iScan HD going for another $300 or $400 USD above what the Ultra sells for, or something like that. For what you get, the iScan Ultra is still viable, provided your projector does ok scaling.

5. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yep actually his last post said an MSRP of $1499.00. I'd think for my purposes I'll try to obtain a used iScan Ultra.