DVDO iScan problems: Is it fried?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Reagan, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    I own a DVDO iScan Plus v2 which I use in conjunction with my Toshiba 40H80. Both are 1.5 years old. Before leaving for work this morning, I noticed that the only LED on the iScan that was lit up was the green power LED. Usually, when all my components are off, all the "mode" LED's are lit up. Since they were dark, it was the first clue to me that something was wrong.
    So I popped a DVD into my Sony DVP7000 and fired up the system. The audio came through as usual, but the video was absent. I tried unplugging the power of the iScan and plugging back it back in. The orange LED's on the left side toggled through the input sources, but couldn't lock onto any video.
    At this point I was getting late for work, so I shut down everything and unplugged the iScan again. When I have more time tonight, I intend to try again, as well as unplugging the SVHS cable from the back of the iScan and plugging it in directly to the 40H80 (far too invloved a job this morning, unfortunately). Given the fact that the DVD player outputs the audio with no problem, I suspect that I will find the problem is with the iScan unit. [​IMG]
    We had an electrical storm a few nights ago, but the iScan and RPTV are plugged into a MonsterCable HTS3500. The rest of the audio components are plugged into a Power Wedge 116. Everything else seems okay.
    Does this problem seem familiar to any iScan owners? Were repairs by a technician necessary for any of you? $$$ ? Of course, I'm out of warranty and I wonder if such a unit is repairable or must be replaced.
    Thanks,
    Thos.

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

There may just be some residual static electricity or something might be blown to bits. There is no way to tell apart from your systematic method of trouble-shooting.

3. Thomas Reagan

Thanks Chris.
    Looks like the problem lies with my Proceed AVP, which the video feed loops through between the DVD player and iScan. The pre-amp has two SVHS video outputs: "main" and "record/loop." The video output from the "main" is all scrambled, whereas if I switch the cable to the "record/loop", the video is fine. The only problem is, I lose all my on screen programming display.
    At least the AVP is still under warranty, while the iScan is not. [​IMG] Though the thought of unhooking all those cables is not something I look forward to.... [​IMG]
    Thos.

4. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

I'd bet money that it's your power supply. DVDO has had problems with these in the past, and I had the exact problem you are describing. Power LED, but nothing else. Can you hook up the power supply to a meter?

My iscan was out of warrenty as well...but I called DVDO, and told them I heard they had problems with the power supply early on. He sent me a new one free, not even a shipping charge. The iscan is a good as new. Good luck!

Eric

5. Thomas Reagan

Eric,

Guess I'll check that out, too. Thanks.

Thos.