DVDMegaPacks Any Good?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob_Brown, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Bob_Brown

Bob_Brown Auditioning

I'm just getting started on building a collection of old Sci-Fi and I received an email ad about a 50 movie megapack (12 DVDs) for $30.

Normally I'd just ignore this but for $30 can I go wrong or is it junk?

I noticed it listed on Amazon.Com and it states that the Studio: Digital 1 Stop.

I'm new to the forum and glad to discover it. Now I just need to figure out where the best places on the internet are to purchase old classic movies on DVD. I just started reading threads and it looks like lots of people are excited by Criterion? Lot's to learn.

Thanks for any opinion or help on this!

2. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

yes I have become a huge fan of criterion! I am only 23 and have not seen many of this centuries past films. I have also found it hard to be exposed to important foreign cinema such as kurasowa. Needless to say I have LOVED every criterion blind buy i have made! I am by no means someone who just buys them because of the label but I do realize they usually only put their stamp on a quality product. As for your little DVD package hey as long as you enjoy iit thats all that matters to you! But 50 movies for that price does not usual smack of quality to me. Good luck with your collection! Take a look at mine in the url below!

3. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

50 movies on 12 DVDs sounds like crap to me.

For everyone who is such a big fan of Criterion, does this mean their quality has improved lately? Because, IMHO, the Silence of the Lambs Criterion blows BIG TIME! Non-anamorphic, dirty print. I hope this isn't what everyone is so ecstatic about.

4. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Well I feel tghey put out some of the best versions of films that can't be had elsewhere. I think their transfer of naked lunch, fear and loathing, hidden fortress, Traffic, The Rock amongst others look amazing!

5. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

50 movies on 12 disks may be crap, but it is an inexpensive way to get introduced to a lot of moviews cheaply, then you can start tracking down better versions of the ones you like.
    As far as criterion, they are not always the best, but they have an obvious love for film and it shows in the vast majority of their work.