What's new

DVDFILE has their Spider-Man review up. (1 Viewer)

"Our review will be up Tuesday afternoon.
Not saying anything till then. :)"

That was very cruel of you Ron, it would have been better if you hadn't said anything at all. ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Gary,

The idea of Superbit is to maximize space for video/audio vs. extras, animated menus, etc. Having a movie with virtually no extras with some improved quality, vs. a movie with extras that take up more space is a legitimate option for the consumer. It's a trade-off. It does make sense to have two versions like this (IMO), so "some" name is required. If it's not called Superbit, it has to be called something to indicate the difference I already stated.

I agree some names are definitely over-used (Collector's Edition, etc.).

GaryEA

Second Unit
Dave,

I agree with everything you've stated, including the fact that consumers do need labeling to differentiate a standard disc with a copy like a Superbit.

With all that Superbit has brought to the table, I've still remained wary of the format. I've seen a few SB titles on a high-end set up and honestly, I saw a fine picture but failed to see what the buzz is about (though I'd rather feel that way as opposed to seeing a poor image or bad sound).

Because my set up is modest, the format does not appeal to me as I'd get only the most minor of improvements (if at all). Again, I can see the appeal for you, and I'm glad you enjoy it and support it.

Personally, I'm starting to drown in both the positives and negatives of DVD. What doesn't help is what feels like a constant drumming of PR lingo and lures to get the mainstream consumer to hop on board. I'm sure stating this would break the rules of Business 101 somehow, but I can't help feel like DVD is starting to eat itself in order to grow.

Release quality product, consistently, and the masses will come - no fluff necessary.

Take care,
Gary

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i remember taking a critical look at the picture quality the second time i saw the film in a theater, and i was certain that not too many people would be overly impressed with the look of the disc, even if Columbia had put all their effort in this first (of many, no doubt) releases of it.
the picture i saw was very grainy and leaned towards a darker, higher contrast.
wasn't all that bad, but it certainly wasn't the liquid smooth look some other high-profile movies get.
i guess maybe the choice of a grainer film stock was so to give the cgi a little more texture in the final form...i don't know.
as far as the superbit debate goes; the problem for me has never been higher quality less extras- its that Columbia sits there and squanders resources (money, time) on going back to remaster the same titles again, when they could have just done one quality job the first time- release it sans extras out of the gate, THEN go back and make it the extra-special loaded with useless feature special edition that many people seem to need...just packaging the same transfer from the original with it.
this way, i (and other that value the best quality repro of the film) get what we want, the rest of the masses get to own the movie, and the next time it get released, the masses get a truly 'special edition'.

still, i have a hard time believing, after seeing Gladiator, Moulin Rouge, and others, that you can't get a pretty impressive picture if you want, even with some of that extra crap in there.
in Columbias case, the whole notion of segregated 'high quality' discs makes me think that the level of quality in a given release is a preconcieved target and not neccesarily the best that can be done.

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you Paul_Scott. I've got a great system but Superbits are only a ploy to get you to buy the same movie all over again, but with less features. They do look good, but Columbia is screwing people over by put out a proper audio/video release the second time around. Especially when FOX, Universal, Warner, Disney, Paramount and NewLine get it done right the first time around.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had to delay my review for another day
since I had so many other commitments to
other studio product.
I am still going through the supplements, but
I can tell you about one Easter Egg: It
is located in the DVD-ROM description area.
You simply push the [/b]UP[/b] arrow on your
remote to access a short piece on animating
Spider-Man's web.
I don't normally look for Easter Eggs. I am
dead set against them. But this one was found
quite accidently.
Review goes up sometime tomorrow.

Gavin_L

Second Unit
Can't wait for your review ron :) Saw this movie in theaters, and will totally be picking up the dvd.

Ned

Supporting Actor
I've got a great system but Superbits are only a ploy to get you to buy the same movie all over again, but with less features. They do look good, but Columbia is screwing people over by put out a proper audio/video release the second time around.

Hmmm. Well either your system (specifically your display) isn't as great as you think, or it's not properly tweaked, or you just aren't that discerning because most Superbit's are significantly better in video quality.

The improvement is stunning for me but I run a mid-level CRT front projector that I've tuned to the max. If you're running a directview tv or even a RPTV, then your display just isn't good enough to resolve the extra detail.

Now on the feeling that it's a double-dipping scam.

Lets say that they released Spiderman as a bare-bones Superbit in November. You would have a huge outcry from all the DVD extra zealots who have this unquenchable thirst for featurettes, makings-of, commentaries, etc, etc.

Why would Columbia/Tristar risk that? No of course they wouldn't. So first you get the "regular quality" release. Which is fine, because most people just don't appreciate the quality improvement ANYWAY. Then when the buy frenzy has fallen, they can release the Superbit version for those of us who do appreciate the utmost video quality possible. Of course a Superbit Deluxe would satisfy both camps, but why bother doing Superbit for people like yourself who don't even see the difference?

The sad thing is that every movie deserves the Superbit level of quality but very few get it.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Of course a Superbit Deluxe would satisfy both camps, but why bother doing Superbit for people like yourself who don't even see the difference?
I think you are grossly over-stating the quality of Superbit DVDs compared to well mastered so-called "standard" DVDs. I'm not saying there is no difference, but the difference is not such that it usually warrants another purchase, even for people with high end systems.

Ned

Supporting Actor
That's your opinion. Personally I try to avoid the first release if a Superbit is likely.

Arguing quality is a waste of time. You guys can't see the difference on your little tv's so it's impossible to convince you. Us projector snobs appreciate it quite a bit though.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Just thought i'd let you know that from R4 reviews the AV is not reference either and is giving the same list of problems

GaryEA

Second Unit
Arguing quality is a waste of time. You guys can't see the difference on your little tv's so it's impossible to convince you. Us projector snobs appreciate it quite a bit though.
What a delightfully arrogant and elitist tone Ned. Could you get any more rude or condescending? Us "guys" with the "little tv's" would like to know. :rolleyes
By the way, arguing quality is not a waste of time just because you have expensive equipment. I'm evaluating and buying DVDs for what's best for me and my system, not your high-end paradise.
-g

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
dvd.ign.com has posted some screenshots and menus from the spidey dvd. this will have you drooling until the dvd comes out on friday.
Link Removed
JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks