DVDFile: "Gigantic" on 11/18

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jesse Blacklow, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

From DVDFile.com:

2. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

I was wondering when this was headed to DVD so i could finally watch the thing. Thanks for the update.

3. Jesse Blacklow

Matt: You won't be dissapointed. BTW, did you know that the Johns made the theme for "The Daily Show"?

Right now the only online store I could find it at was DVD Empire, who states a 11/25 date, but they'll update it.

Here's some more info from the Gigantic homepage:

4. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

TMBG is my absolute favorite band-- I can't believe that this thread hasn't had more traffic already. Surely there are more fans among the home theater geek crowd. [​IMG]

I should have gone down to Austin for the SXSW premiere, but I didn't and was sure they'd show it in Dallas at some point. Unfortunately, I was terribly mistaken-- it looks like I'll be seeing it on November 18th for the first time. (Not counting the excerpts shown on Nightline way back when.)

BTW, I take issue with DVDFile's "80's alternative act" description. Sure, They got started in the 80's, but they're still going strong. They're still pumping out albums and other projects. Heck, with all the stuff they've done for TV, movies, and commercials lately, people are hearing their stuff nearly every day and have no idea. Injustice, I say!!! [​IMG]

Anyway, the list of bonus features is astounding. I can't wait for November 18th. I'm (slightly) more excited about this than even Indiana Jones!!!

-Kelly

5. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

i saw the west coast premiere at studio Z in SF.. a very good documentary, my only complaint being mr. mckean's long recitation of 'the end of the tour', which i think they should have edited down a bit (it was really the only moment the hardcore crowd lost focus during the screening).

even non-fans should check this out... it's far better than i thought it would be, and i learned things i didn't know, which i didn't think was possible. it has history, fascinating anecdotes, musical performances, and an atmosphere which is funny but not overly "jokey". it's the perfect vehicle to grab more TMBG fans from the wings. looks ilke they also loaded up on the extras (cool!).

check out the trailer for 'gigantic' on the recently released "live in brooklyn" dvd!

s

6. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

I'm surprised that it isn't OAR, but that won't stop me from buying it.

7. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Yes, this is in the original aspect ratio. The doc was shot and edited on video and was shown 1:33 on Digital Betacam at festivals before the theatrical release this summer.

I also recommend the Giants' video collection "Direct From Brooklyn," which many don't even know is now on DVD with commentary and bonus live performance (and Tiny Toons music videos!). Some of these videos will be on the "Gigantic" DVD, but not all of them. And the commentary is unlikely to carry over...

8. Cris K

Cris K Agent

Great Movie! [​IMG]

And finally I can replace my VHS TMBG video collection. Sadly though, it does not look like the Purple Toupee video made the cut.

Oh well, 4 1/2 hours of Bonus Johns! Woohoo!

-cris

9. Jesse Blacklow

"Direct From Brooklyn" is already in my collection. I feel it's worth a hojillion times more than the $11 I paid for it. Plus, I got to see them for thr 3rd time this summer for $3(!) with the U.S. Capitol as a backdrop. Very nice.

When I saw this in the theater, it was shown in 1:33, but that might have been because it was run by the AFI, so they had their act together.

November is going to kill me. So much good stuff...

10. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Thanks for clarifying the OAR. When I saw it in a theater in Seattle, it was projected wider than 1.33:1. I assume they were cropping the top and bottom of the image.

11. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

And to un-clarify the OAR, Plexifilm's site lists the DVD aspect ratio as 1.85:1... [​IMG]

By the way, the official site, www.giganticfilm.com , says those who subscribe to their mailing list will get a chance to "pre-own" the DVD in a couple weeks. I'll be on the lookout for this deal... and seeing the film on the big screen here in Tampa mid-October.