What's new

DVDFile: CTS to release only MAR Gillian (1 Viewer)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
From DVDFile:

In less positive news, Columbia has also announced a 5/7 street date for To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday. Though hardly an A-list title, this marks the first DVD release from Columbia TriStar since their first few titles to feature a full frame only transfer. Other specs include an English 5.1 Dolby Digital track, English and French subtitles, and trailers. Retail is $19.95.

I would have purchased this, but I guess it's just a rehashed LD transfer. A really bad trend. I guess CTS is no longer a guarantee of quality.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
this marks the first DVD release from Columbia TriStar since their first few titles to feature a full frame only transfer
DVDFile is incorrect; there was at least one other full frame release from CTS: Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip.

M.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Count me in for another lost sale. I've waited, quite literally, years for this to come out as I've seen only bits of this movie. Didn't want to sit through it until I had it OAR, with good quality picture and sound. I guess I'll never see this now :angry:

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Princess Cariboo was also released P&S/FF only about a year or so ago. I don't know why DTS does this sort of thing, every so often, but it makes little sense.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I don't like this at all. We're sliding down the slippery slope. At the bottom of this hill is full scale pandering the pan'n'scam crowd.

Call me "Chicken Little" if you like, but this is a disturbing announcement from Columbia, IMHO.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Scent of Green Papaya said:
For Columbia, this is now clearly a trend. I guess parent company Sony has decided that they do not wish to sell any of their widescreen TVs. Unfortunately, this is quite a bit more serious than Willy Wonka -- there is no family film fig leaf here... Time for some more protests!
Ted

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
there is no family film fig leaf here
You mean like there was with Richard Pryor's concert film? :)
The truth is, Columbia has always done sporadic full-frame-only titles, beginning with their earliest releases and continuing through today. I don't see this as a new trend; it's the continuation of a bad old habit that's past due to be broken.
M.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I had been wondering why I haven't gotten any replies in this thread from Studio and Manufacturer Feedback:
Columbia: To Gillian without OAR!!!?
I'm irritated by this release. If you are too, please include your thoughts in this thread. Non-OAR is starting to proliferate. And it's affected yet another title that I would have purchased otherwise.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
The DVD won't have an old transfer rehash... it's a new hidef transfer.
gillian_back.jpg

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Patrick is showing that the packaing indicates "Remastered in High Definition" but is only Pan & Scan. Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland, Matilda, Thomas and the Magic Railroad...and now To Gillian. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks