DVDExpress.com is Back

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Clinard, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I just have to mention that dvdexpress.com is back! The site has now returned to the old but wonderful dvdexpress.com, instead of express.com, and all thier logos reflect that change. They also have a refined search engine, or at least better than I remember it. The site looks a lot better too. The navigation is great. It's also very fast. But the most important change is thier preorder list is back! So we will now be able to find out what DVD's are coming soon. I hope they keep up this good work. I know I will be shopping there more as they continue to increase thier inventory. Give them your business.
    I know this is in the wrong area, but I also know that there were a lot of threads several months ago discussing the demise of dvdexpress, and it looks like they have made a complete turnaround. I congratulate them, and wish them the very best!

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

They can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. They utilized a deceptive "sale" campaign in July and took tons of orders for discounted electronics and other goods that they must have known that they wouldn't be able to fill at that price point; to make matters worse, my "open orders" were completely wiped out in their transition back to "DVDExpress"-- so now I can't even point out to them the headphones I ordered which were completely "backordered."
    To be honest, I wasn't sure if I'd get the headphones at that price point to begin with, but would have been much happier knowing that they'd cancelled my order instead of just deleting it from their system without any prior warning. Fortunately, I wasn't charged for my goods in advance (particularly as they never shipped)-- which, based on posts at DVDTalk, has been the case.
    Their "customer service" is completely nonexistent-- there's no 800-number any more and emailing and faxing them results in absolutely no response.
    I'll NEVER order from them again and suggest others take their business to more reputable vendors like DVDEmpire, Laser's Edge or Deep Discount DVD.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Don't hold back, Mark. Tell us how you really feel. [​IMG]

4. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Mark,
    DVDExpress was just as reputable as the others you mentioned, but as I understand it, they extended themselves too far. You can't really blame them, a lot of .com business went through the same problems. Everyone expected the world from .com investments and failed (trust me, I know several people that transplanted themselves in California and found themselves jobless and homeless soon afterwards). You might want to try and see how they deal with the situation now.
    Mike
    ------------------
    Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland
    Desktop pic of NYC

5. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

I remember when the fiascos started happening. It was (for me) around Aug. 29th last year. We all remember that day with all the big releases like T2:UE and others. It was all downhill from there.
    I wonder if Ron will comment on this dvdexpress situation. I remember him warning people when they were sinking. If they are back then great. Hopefully they will offer good customer service and low prices. The market needs more competition.
    Now, if only the old reel.com could come back. They have changed the store they sponsor like 3 times already since they folded.

6. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

my lame two cents:
    they're also more expensive with a smaller selection.
    Try DVDplanet.com, they have helped me out in more ways than one... PLUS, have way better prices than most out there. My first online shopping experience was through express and the last time I shopped there.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

7. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

let me know when they start processing international orders. my money will keep going elsewhere in the meantime.
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Apparently some of their DVD orders went through during their sale, but when I tried to buy any of their CDs (which were discounted to below-cutout prices), I could never get them to load in my cart.
    I find it ludicrous that a company would try and "lure" back customers with deals that they're unable to fulfill. If stuff isn't going to be on sale (or on sale to that much of a degree), don't advertise it as such. Putting almost all of your stock on immediate "backorder" because you can't fill your orders is no way to run a business.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I gave these jokers a shot in early 2000, based on a co-worker's recommendation. I ordered 8 items from them. They arrived without any packing material whatsoever, and 2 of the DVD discs were damaged as a result.
    As a 13-year-long retail store manager, I understand that stuff happens and called them up, expecting reasonable help if I kept my cool. They didn't want to talk to me about my problem; when they finally did talk to me I had to pay return shipping myself (a policy in effect everywhere but Amazon, which is among the reasons why they are my primary online source these days; and well worth the extra couple of dollars in most cases...peace of mind).
    Worse, they then took a month to get a replacement shipment to me...and one of the two items was broken then, too! It took another month to get a copy of *that* title to me, and IT arrived with a broken snapper hub and a scratch. But it wasn't so deep I couldn't buff it out and play the disc. You really don't want to know how I replaced the snapper; it was done by devious means. But at that point I refused to deal with Express any more.
    "The Universe does not give first warnings...or second chances". (source: David Gerrold)
    Well, I gave them a 2nd chance anyway. In August 2000 I could not find Supergirl - Limited Edition anywhere in town, and was concerned that I'd never find it. Amazon, Empire, Planet, etc. were out...but Express had stock. So I gave them a 2nd chance; I thought I was over a barrel (nowadays you see that 2-disc set everywhere around here; no joke!).
    The item arrived in good condition; a miracle, considering that once again there was no packing material! So they've proven that they consistantly can't package stuff in a way that gets it to me safely; a primary concern for any mailorder business and their customers.
    Well, that along with their shitty customer service and policies, I have decided that they will be trusted no more. Forever. They can rot in hell. They could not GIVE me a DVD I'd care to really have...because I'd worry that it wouldn't show up in one piece.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

11. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    I actually did get one DVD and probably about 10 CDs during their sale (2 separate orders). It took awhile for them to ship, but I did get them all.
    I actually had some items that were in stock when I put them in my cart, but were out of stock by the time I placed my order. And once, the order actually got placed, but one of the items then showed as backordered, so I had to edit the order and delete the out of stock item.
    DVD Express used to be my #1 DVD source, but it's unlikely I'll go back to them often. I just started using Deep Discount DVD and not only do they appear to do a good job, but their prices are great. In comparing some of the upcoming releases, their prices are often lower than DVD Express, and when they're more, it's by less than $1. And I pay no shipping or sales tax with DDDVD (I live in CA, so I have to pay tax if I order from DVD Express).
    I'm willing to give DVD Express another chance, but they're going to have to give me a good reason (like some special offers for long time customers).

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I also used DVD Express for many purchases before their financial problems started. However, considering how they handled customers during their tough times, I doubt that I will go back. Instead, I will continue to use DVD Empire and Deep Discount DVD as long as their service remains good.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

13. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I bought my first 150 DVD's through them when there customer service was beyond compare...
    When they went down the tubes, I swithced to DVD Empire, which has so far been terrific. However, when Express's first email came out I did order the 2nd season box set of X-files for $74, and it was shipped relatively promptly (I wasn't in too much of a hurry for it, but got in about 4 days). Saved about $35 - sweet.

14. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

There are far too many existing and reputable etailers from which to shop now; in the face of rapidly retreating markets, I doubt that another new comer will retain the financing to hang on. With the plethora of awesome new relases slated for the third and fourth quarters, I will not be wasting my time "hoping" for DVDs to come in. Laser's Edge, Amazon, 800.com, DVD Empire - to name a few, have filled the gap just nicely. Hello, DVD Express, and goodbye.

15. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

Lasers Edge all the way!
    ------------------
    David W. Anderson - [email protected]
    Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

16. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Laser's Edge has been my source now for almost 5 years. There have been zero errors and super service from this B&M store in Indiana who got into web sales early in the history of the internet. In the early days of DVD, I placed some orders with DVD Express with good results but they sure fell apart fast in the fall of 2000 as several have commented in this thread.
    Laser's Edge seem to stock everything and never miss shipping a pre-order on time. As a result, I pre-order about 95% of the titles I buy (too many I might add) and sit back and relax until I get my on-time deliveries.
    I think that DVD Express will have a difficult time getting re-established given the apparent way they seem to have handled their difficult financial situation and return sale as illustrated with the posts in this thread.

17. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

I used to use DVDexpress but now I deal mainly with buy.com and dvdempire.com.
    They have both been very good to me so far.
    ------------------
    Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
    [​IMG]

18. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

quote: They can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. They utilized a deceptive "sale" campaign in July and took tons of orders for discounted electronics and other goods that they must have known that they wouldn't be able to fill at that price point; to make matters worse, my "open orders" were completely wiped out in their transition back to "DVDExpress"-- so now I can't even point out to them the headphones I ordered which were completely "backordered."
    To be honest, I wasn't sure if I'd get the headphones at that price point to begin with, but would have been much happier knowing that they'd cancelled my order instead of just deleting it from their system without any prior warning. Fortunately, I wasn't charged for my goods in advance (particularly as they never shipped)-- which, based on posts at DVDTalk, has been the case.
    Their "customer service" is completely nonexistent-- there's no 800-number any more and emailing and faxing them results in absolutely no response.[/quote]
    I don't know what happened in your case, but I ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s ($450 list) for $134 at the end of July. The headphones went on immediate backorder. I e-mailed customer service and received a very friendly and personalized reply the next day saying that Express would not get any more headphones in to fulfill the backorders (it was a clearance after all).
    Over Labor Day weekend the headphones did come in and they are resting comfortably on my coffee table. I also received all the DVDs I ordered, even the ones that were back ordered.
    Maybe it's the events of the last couple of weeks, but I think that posting bullshit like "they can rot in hell" is out of line. For god's sake, it's just an order for a pair of headphones. Work yourself into a lather over something important.
    This company just got bought and there is likely more than a little confusion going on during the transition. Getting that worked up and angry over something this petty just seems pathetic to me. Of course, maybe I would feel different if I didn't have a pair of Sennheisers sitting on my coffee table.
    And maybe if a few people showed a little loyalty to some of these e-tailers (Express, Reel, Buy, pick any store of your choice), maybe a few more of them would stay in business, we'd have a better selection and prices would be even lower than they are.
    [Edited last by Ken Seeber on September 22, 2001 at 03:55 AM]

19. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

www.dvdempire.com all the way for me!
    I used to be a loyal dvdexpress fan,but as soon as the sh*t hit the fan and they started delivering new releases 4-6 days late.I jumped ship.Empire is just as good as express ever was and in some cases,better.

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I also migrated to DVD Empire when DVD Express went into decline (as well as to 800.com). I hope they really have returned.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]