DVDEmpire.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I about to place my first order at DVDEmpire.com. Does anyone know what kind of packaging they use for standard international shipping, how quick it is for international orders and whether its a good store to use?
    I'd appreciate any advice you have.
    Regards,
    Paul.

2. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Paul, when you try to place your order I think you will get asked for fax copy of a credit card bill, credit card copy and other such information. I tried to order an item once and refused to supply such information. Other online retailers do not ask this.

3. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Well, I can't tell you about international shipping.
    But I can tell you that I've used DVD Empire for over a year now, and not ONCE have they messed up my order. Extremely quick shipping and absolutely great customer service. I think if they ask you to fax over card information, it'll be safe.

4. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Like Kevin above, I've had nothing but great service from Empire, but like him I'm domestic to the US...

5. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

well unlike the above couple I am an international customer of DVDEmpire, and I think they are great, I only have one gripe and its really trivial, Reboot Volume 4 has been out of stock ever since it was released.
    Apart from that they are great, the ship in cardboard boxes filled with styrofoam peanuts and I get the orders in pretty much exactly 7 days. One order went missing but they replaced it after the required waiting period. I have ordered about 8 times and about to do another one.
    I also accept visual confirmation that I have a valid credit card and account as a legitimate way of attempting to limit fraud, they didn't need to see any information that I hadn't already given them (account/address etc) did you know you can just scan it and email them the image?

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Thanks very much, I appreciate all the feedback. I'll admit, having to submit a card statement did worry me at first, but then I emailed them and they replied saying that I could fax/email the relevant section from my passport, which seems a safer option.
    Having only used Amazon before, I didn't realise that there are companies that actually respond to emails with responses relevant to your enquiry. I only just realised... Amazon suck!
    Thanks for the advice.
    Paul.

7. Hank L

Hank L Auditioning

They have been great...until recently. They've screwed up my last three orders.
    About six weeks ago they shipped me a damaged disc. I asked them for a refund instead of a replacement because the disc was a clearance item and out of stock. Instead of heeding my request and issuing a refund, they backordered the disc which of course became a perpetual backorder. They did eventually give me the refund.
    About four weeks ago, they shipped the wrong movie to me. However, they were willing to pay for the return postage since it was their fault.
    Last week, I received only one of two DVDs I ordered and which I asked to "ship complete". But they charged me for both movies! There's no indication under my account status of the second title still being "on order" nor is there any indications of a refund for the missing movie. I sent them e-mail this weekend, lets see what they have to say.
    These are not good signs.
    ----------
    8/11 Update
    The missing movie was due to an inventory miscount in DVDEmpire's database. Their computer thought it was "In Stock" and so printed the packing slip for shipment, but in fact, they were out of stock. Because the packing slip printed, it's their policy to ship whatever was available.
    They've reimbursed me for the missing DVD, but they still owe me for shipping. I don't know why they think they can charge me for shipping on an item that didn't ship! So more e-mails.
    But the thing that really really bugs me is that they knew of the problem before they shipped my order. Yet, they didn't bother to correct it on their own and charged me for something they knew they weren't going to ship. And, if I hadn't e-mailed them, this would have gone unfixed.
    It's bad customer service to make a mistake, know you've made a mistake, and not fix it until the customer complains.
    [Edited last by Hank L on August 11, 2001 at 05:23 PM]

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

DvDempire has become my ONLY web site to order.Although express.com is under new management I may try them agin in the future.There standerd uspo mail is priority mail.

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I've had only good experiences in dealing with DVDEmpire. Before I switched to them for 99.5% of my DVD purchases, I was buying most of my discs from DVDPlanet. DVDPlanet's service was spotty & I was not at all happy that their main method of shipping was the USPS, & that any alternate method was GREATLY overpriced! I'll only stray from DVDEmpire if they don't appear to carry a disc that I really wish to own(An example is Cosmos, which I just ordered from DVDPlanet). I've only bought one DVD from Amazon. That was the Widescreen version of Airport. I had no complaints with my limited exposure to Amazon's methods of doing business.

11. Michael_Shisler

Do DVDEmpire pricematch?