What's new

dvdcoverart.com unavailable (1 Viewer)

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
The site has been unavailable for a couple of days, at least. Anyone know what's happening or when they will be back?

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
The site has been unavailable for a couple of days, at least. Anyone know what's happening or when they will be back?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I've noticed that too. I've been meaning to print out some amaray covers for my snappers to no avail. I hope they're back soon.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I've noticed that too. I've been meaning to print out some amaray covers for my snappers to no avail. I hope they're back soon.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
A few days ago they suspended uploading of any new covers, saying it had something to do with Disney, I believe. Someome around here probably knows.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
A few days ago they suspended uploading of any new covers, saying it had something to do with Disney, I believe. Someome around here probably knows.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
They had to remove all Miramax/Disney and all related companies' covers. There's probably quite a lot of database management going on right now, and taking the whole site down temporarily would just make it a lot easier, I guess.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
They had to remove all Miramax/Disney and all related companies' covers. There's probably quite a lot of database management going on right now, and taking the whole site down temporarily would just make it a lot easier, I guess.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
The Disney situation was settled. They removed all covers from Disney subsidiaries and were back online for a few days. The current outage (as far as I can gather) is due to a disgruntled forum member calling the MPAA. The only thing I know for certain is that the cover print-out service will be going away.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
The Disney situation was settled. They removed all covers from Disney subsidiaries and were back online for a few days. The current outage (as far as I can gather) is due to a disgruntled forum member calling the MPAA. The only thing I know for certain is that the cover print-out service will be going away.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If anyone's interested, I have all the Disney covers with original theatrical poster art from the animated classics saved on my hard drive. I'd be happy to send them through AIM or Yahoo upon request via p.m.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If anyone's interested, I have all the Disney covers with original theatrical poster art from the animated classics saved on my hard drive. I'd be happy to send them through AIM or Yahoo upon request via p.m.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
To restate what's been said, DVDCoverArt, the site where dedicated film fans lovingly restored the original theatrical poster art to DVD covers, and made custom covers based on the art that the studios provide on their promotional websites, and whose artists were made up of hundreds of folks from around the world all contributing their time and talent for nary a cent, and who - let's not forget - helped express the resentment against snapper cases - was ordered by Buena Vista to remove all cover art of BV, Disney, Miramax, Dimension, and all the other BV sublabels from the site - including television product like Alias.

Evidently they were delivered something more serious than a cease & desist letter - even though DVDcoverart's reputation of willingly complying with any and all requests from studios is well known (they'd previously been asked by various magna distributors to remove certain anime covers and they did so, and they've been meticulous about not earning anything from the site - which granted is not a factor, but I mention it because it speaks to their character). Some of the folks at DVDcoverart, before the site went offline a couple days ago, described what they were served with as being something else, something one step short of a court date.

So naturally they took the BV material down immediately, and they also suspended uploads just to be sure no one would be uploading their latest Kill Bill effort, and as they went offline a couple days ago they said that "the site is closed while [they] deal with any pending legal issues" and they hope to have everything resolved and be back soon.

I hope that's true.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
To restate what's been said, DVDCoverArt, the site where dedicated film fans lovingly restored the original theatrical poster art to DVD covers, and made custom covers based on the art that the studios provide on their promotional websites, and whose artists were made up of hundreds of folks from around the world all contributing their time and talent for nary a cent, and who - let's not forget - helped express the resentment against snapper cases - was ordered by Buena Vista to remove all cover art of BV, Disney, Miramax, Dimension, and all the other BV sublabels from the site - including television product like Alias.

Evidently they were delivered something more serious than a cease & desist letter - even though DVDcoverart's reputation of willingly complying with any and all requests from studios is well known (they'd previously been asked by various magna distributors to remove certain anime covers and they did so, and they've been meticulous about not earning anything from the site - which granted is not a factor, but I mention it because it speaks to their character). Some of the folks at DVDcoverart, before the site went offline a couple days ago, described what they were served with as being something else, something one step short of a court date.

So naturally they took the BV material down immediately, and they also suspended uploads just to be sure no one would be uploading their latest Kill Bill effort, and as they went offline a couple days ago they said that "the site is closed while [they] deal with any pending legal issues" and they hope to have everything resolved and be back soon.

I hope that's true.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Oh that's hilarious. I'm sure I know just who you mean. The last couple weeks I found myself tuning in to the DVDcoverart message boards every day from work just to read his strange tangents. But I thought - or hoped - it was just an act.

Scary.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Oh that's hilarious. I'm sure I know just who you mean. The last couple weeks I found myself tuning in to the DVDcoverart message boards every day from work just to read his strange tangents. But I thought - or hoped - it was just an act.

Scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks