What's new

DVDcoverart.com down? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, it doesn't appear to be your pc! Hopefully Matt will get it back up soon. He has had his share of difficulties with his site over the last couple of months. So be patient.

Ric

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
dvdcoverart will return, I promise :)
it's harder to find cheap hosting for a 3gb (storage) + 10gb/month (bandwidth) site than you'd think...

Jay Villero

Agent
Matt -
So we're looking at a bit of a wait then?
Not a problem. I can be patient. You're site is terrific.

- Jay

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
well it seems as if I need to find a new host :frowning:, as the guy who was hosting me can no longer do so
any suggestions for a hosting company that can handle a site with 3gb of content and smiliar bandwidth use? anyone here in the hosting business want to help a fellow HTF'er out? :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Matt:
Give Travis Burnside with QWK.net (the ISP that hosts HTF) and talk to him. I am sure that he can get something set up for you. You can reach him at [email protected]. He is very good to work with and his servers have a 99% uptime.
Parker

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Parker,
thanks for the pointer. I just did find a host, and hopefully we'll have seen the last of the problems that previously plagued the site.
as of now, the site is fully back up and running :)

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
It's probably just a matter of waiting a couple of days for the domain to propagate over to the new server. The Plesk (old host) error page still shows, which would indicate the account has been closed on that server but the domain isn't yet pointing to the new account.

Dan

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
here's the deal -

my current host (5gbhosting.com) has decided to take my site offline, citing excessive bandwidth usage. I've been trying to work something out with them but they are terribly slow at replying to email it seems. It's looking like I will have to find a new host yet again. Unfortuantely, I'm heading out of town for a few days, so I won't be able to make any progress on it until I return next week.

If I am forced to move to a new host, I will probably use the downtime to complete work on the new site design, so if that is the case then it might be a little longer until the site is back up.

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
I too wonder this, it was one of my daily visits.

It sure is a wonderful site, I've used a ton of covers from there.

Thanks for the hard work Matt.

Andy

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, I had a thought this morning that I figured I'd throw your way. As a possible alternative to looking for a host that offers everything you need plus tons of disk space and bandwith, have you considered breaking it down into 2 parts? What I'm thinking is a front/back end sort of setup with a small traffic account that offers database access (for your forums and maybe a slick cover art indexing system) that would link to a second account geared toward high bandwidth usages. There are hosts that specialize in archive type sites -- static pages served from large hard drives with no cgi-bin, MySQL, PHP, etc. -- so they may be able to take on the meat of your site at a much lower cost.

Just a thought...

Dan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dan,
do you mean like an ftp site? The graphics and shiny stuff could be located on a normal site and the downloads linked to a different, specialized site.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I don't know that it needs to be an actual FTP site, but that basic premise should hold.

Dan

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Matt,

I don't have any specific hosts in mind, but I can ask around and see if anything turns up.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sajidjadoonisbb
Recent bookmarks