1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVDBeaver in dire straits

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Doug Otte, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Hi All. If you go to the DVDBeaver site, you'll see a letter from Gary about how he's been losing money and asking again for folks to support him via Patreon or PayPal. It seems like he's close to shutting down.

Although I rarely use the site anymore, and really don't buy many discs anymore either, I have used it many times in the past. I don't want to join Patreon to support him monthly, but I do want to send him a contribution via PayPal.

However, I couldn't figure out how to contact him nor could I find DVDBeaver in PayPal. Does anyone have any contact info or a PayPal link? Thanks.

Osato and atcolomb like this.
  2. johnmcmasters

johnmcmasters Stunt Coordinator

John McMasters
    I support the site through Patreon -- and try to click on the monitized links whenever possible - try to balance that with doing the same on this forum. Although I haven't always agreed with some of the site's assessments, I honestly appreciate that so much information is organized in such a helpful manner -- and it helps me track new releases, etc. An invaluable resource for me, as is this site!

Osato, Jack K, Traveling Matt and 4 others like this.
  3. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

I too love their level of detail, but I only ever search for a title via Google because... well, DVD Beaver. Is there a link to his letter? It's just as hard to find as a review.

Osato likes this.
  4. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Been looking at the website for many years and like the info it provides. I also like the reviews of discs from other regions.

Osato likes this.
  5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I know there are naysayers regarding Gary's site, especially pertaining to his screen captures, but the guy just puts in such an amazing amount of time and effort (and probably money from his own pocket) to keep DVD Beaver up and running. and he provides us with pretty thorough information about release dates, including those overseas. And his screen captures are actually not very often way-y off base, to my eyes. His comparisons have quite a few times helped me to determine which version of a given title looks best in order to make a fairly informed purchasing decision, or to decide whether or not to bother with an upgrade from DVD,

Whatever else he might be, he is tried-and-true movie fanatic, and I have appreciated the seemingly endless info he has provided regarding bonus content, reviews, bit rates, links for purchase, etc. I don't know how many people other than himself (if any) are on his "staff," but I'm not going to abandoned him, and plan to make a donation. Who here would be willing to do the work required to replace him?

We need to step up to the plate. Consider his plea a Go Fund Me or Kickstarter to keep the place running.

Osato, Jimbo64, willyTass and 8 others like this.
  6. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    DVDBeaver is a great site, worth supporting.

Osato, willyTass and atcolomb like this.
  7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Removed the link to email, if you are going to support this please use the Patreon site. HTF has no relation to DVDBeaver but many of us, like you who posted already, enjoy the site.

Osato and Will Krupp like this.
  8. Message #8 of 12 Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Blu_rayfan66

Blu_rayfan66 Stunt Coordinator

Hugh S.
    deleted*

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I've temporarily hidden the links while owners discuss. Please do not repost them at this time

Osato likes this.
  10. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    DVD Beaver is a valuable part of the entire community. This shouldn't be about competition. It should be about supporting someone who does things no one else does.

11. SultanOfWhat

SultanOfWhat Stunt Coordinator

Matt
    I would contribute $5 to DVD Beaver once or twice a year like I do to several sites through random Paypal donations, but I don't want to have any recurring charge..

Sam Posten and Osato like this.
  12. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    They should have a one time donation link. I don't know why they don't.

Sam Posten likes this.