What's new

DVDA Forms New Marketing Counsel (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Gee, I thought I would be more "fair and balanced" today and share some good news from the rest of the hirez world.

My spelling sucks, however, when I don't have my contacts in. If the Forum Administrator wants to change title to "council", that would be great. :)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Well the formation of this so called council can't hurt things. The story paints a pessimistic outlook to the whole affair right now, but things can only change for the better when you are near rock bottom as far as marketing of a format goes.

DVD-A needs some sort of marketing to puch the format into the consumers mind. DVD is the hottest format on the market right now, and DVD-A is missing the boat by not cashing in on the name. It is encouraging to see BMG and EMI as members of the council, with Universal the main ommission. Universal, who is set to release DVD-A titles later this year, probably didn't join because of their ungoing commitment to SACD as well.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

There's 1 exclusive Big 5 label per format.... DVD-A is WB, and SACD is Sony. The other 3/5 of the Big 5s have or plan to release both formats.

As far as a marketing council, that's definitely good news. IMO they are already are doing fine from a technical perspective and a hardware adoption level.

If estimates from the DVD-A conference on Saturday are correct, 2004 will see 50% of all DVD players sold with DVD-A capability (which would include universal players).

Lee -- on most forums using this software,the forum moderator and the author should be able to edit the title. Have you tried editing the post to see if the thread title is available for edit?

Regards,

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
HOLY CRAP IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

But when HFR said the Council neglected to mention its formation to HFR staffers.......oh jeez, what a great start :rolleyes. And the news that dvd-audio labels had to be asked first for a review sample :frowning:. Or worse, the request being ignored. :angry:

Umm, maybe they are still getting their collective s**t together and didn't want to announce themselves prematurely......yea, I'll bet that's the ticket! Maybe they're planning a big Dvd-Audio Bash--TV spots! Print ads! Guest appearances of 5.1 mixers on TRL and Conan O'Brien! Dave Attel of "Insomniac" visits a late-night surround mixing session for Radiohead!

Whatever the cause, I'm tired of yacking to people about dvd-audio myself or sending e-mails to labels I like asking them about it (so far: ESL Music, Zero7's management team and 311). The "grassroots" campaign thing only works so far, because then I run into this problem: finding a way to let people actually HEAR dvd-audio. Most of my family & friends like it (specifically, the surround aspect) but others? This is a problem for the Big Boys to address. Whatever happened to that commercial theater demo Warner (I think) was supposed to have done? Anybody hear it?

Well, at least dvd-audio members are aware their previous "marketing" effort totally sucked.

LJ

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Whatever happened to that commercial theater demo Warner (I think) was supposed to have done? Anybody hear it?
Excellent question Lance. I have not seen it.

One would think the movie theater would be a great place - masses of people at once, captive audience, almost ideal demo speakers in surround, visual capability.

I must say that Sony should also look into this for Super Audio as well. I would be plenty happy to see any more promotion for high resolution audio because I do think more education can widen its appeal, even if mass acceptance is far (or never?) away...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks