What's new

dvd9 Question (1 Viewer)

Guys I bought a DVD Van Halen Live, DTS version, its a DVD9 region 1 coded, it will not play on my Sony dvp nc600 dvd player, but will play on my computer, why will it not work on my dvd player? I'm kinda of new to this.
Thanks

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, Home Theater Software would probably be a better place for this. Does it have a big label on it that says it's a DVD-9? If so it's probably a bootleg DVD

Other than that, some discs have trouble with some players, and I would suggest exchanging it

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
99.9% definate that it's a bootleg. I have never ever run into a legit disc that advertises that it's on DVD-9, while bootlegs often advertise it

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Without seeing the disc I'd have to say its' definitely a bootleg also. I bet at the top of it is a great big red band that says DTS too. DTS is all the rage in Asia right now, and so are multilayer discs (many of their discs were lower quality, or had little or no extras, so a movie would fit fine on a standard disc.) If it's got a big DVD 9 sticker on the front, and the DTS banner across the top (especially if it also has a Dolby soundtrack on it as well) it's going to be a bootleg.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
How can it be a bootleg if its dual layer? DVD-R/+R can only do singler layer. Also I have the DTS version of Scareface and it says DVD9:dual layer on the cover so can this be a bootleg as well?

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"...Also I have the DTS version of Scareface and it says DVD9:dual layer on the cover so can this be a bootleg as well?"

Yes !

. . . . . .

Thanks for all the responses. The seller is going to issue a refund to me. Please be wary of these items on eBay.
As for the Scareface, YES, it is a bootleg.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It used to be impossible for bootleggers to produce DVD-9 dual-layer DVDs, but where there's a will, there's a way! :D :thumbsdown:

Who am I kidding? If I see a live concert CD/DVD that I look the like of a market, I try it out and if the quality is good, I buy it. Why not? What are the odds that Bob Dylan will put out the Hard Rain concert? What's annoying is the bootlegging of stuff like Scarface - how much green did Universal lose while they put their own DVD on monatorium? And God knows they need the revenue.

I'd never buy a bootleg of a movie, but I would of a rock concert on CDR/DVD, as chances are, it will be the only way to ever hear/see the show. But I do more trading than buying. But some stuff is hard to find.

Gordy

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
What pisses me off is I bought from what looked like a real online video store. If i can find the link i'll post it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Posting the link is against HTF rules Charlie, instead send it to the MPAA http://www.mpaa.org or call 1-800-NO-PIRACY

How can it be a bootleg if its dual layer? DVD-R/+R can only do singler layer. Also I have the DTS version of Scareface and it says DVD9:dual layer on the cover so can this be a bootleg as well?
Because they have their own DVD pressing factories to make them in. If you have a DTS version of Scarface it's a boot. I believe the new version coming in the fall might have DTS

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
are you guys saying that all dvd9's are bootlegs?
if so, is the expensive hong kong disc of HERO in the nice limited edition, fabric lined box that is about $50 a bootleg? if so, this concerns me. I buy mainly imports and a few of them that i have saw dvd9, and are nice looking editions, and are 2 disc with nice packaging and have real artwork on the face(s) of the disc(s)...
anyone know the deal??

Ronn.W

Second Unit
You're assuming that bootlegs are made by people on PC's or with a DVDR. This couldn't be further from the truth. China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong have been bootlegging for years, and have professional reproduction facilities. Sometimes the same plant creating genuine discs is used at off times to make bootleg discs.

In the 60's and 70's there were Chinese bootlegs of vinyl LP's and 45's. Try doing that without a professional press. This is big market, big money, big operation stuff. The poor quality of bootlegs has more to do with poor source material than with poor manufacturing. Sad to say, I've seen bootlegs that are every bit as good as the originals.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
are you guys saying that all dvd9's are bootlegs?
I'm saying that most of them that have a big DVD9 sticker on the front of it are bootlegs. It could be a boot, maybe it's not. Many boots have nice pictures and excellent packaging. When Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was released there were 2-3 really nice custom packages for it that were all bootlegs. If you're worried about Hero I'd suggest checking around other DVD boards and asking.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Well since i'm stuck with it already does anyone if my bootleg DTS Scarface is as good are the real version?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks