DVD with Tivo - Worth the Investment?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Brighton, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton Stunt Coordinator

I posted this under the "Audio and Video Sources" section as well, though this might be a better place for my question...

It's been a few years since I bought a new DVD player and I'm really considering getting one equipped with TiVo so that I could burn some of the things to DVD. I've never used TiVo, so I'm not sure how easy/hard this would be.

I'm eyeing up the Pioneer Elite model (I think it's the 47), but for that price I wanted to make sure that it's still a good DVD player.

What's the picture quality like of something stored on TiVo and then burned to DVD?

Anyway, I'm just trying to get the basics here and was wondering what the membership thought...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I've closed that thread. We don't allow multiple listings. And this is the proper forum for questions about either TiVo or DVD recorders.

M.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think the dvd/tivo combo will only benefit you if you plan on copying a lot of stuff off of tivo onto dvd.

otherwise i don't see any real benefit to having a combination unit, but then again, i generally don't like the concept of combination units. (too much "stuff" crammed into one box, etc...)

now, tivo (in itself) is *awesome* - it'll change the way you watch tv ... trust me on that.

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    amen to that! I couldn't live w/o mine.

5. Sue B

Sue B Auditioning

I love my TIVO - no piece of equipment I've bought has ever gotten so much use. I imagine in a few months you'll post that you wish you had bought the TIVO/DVR quicker.

I am thinking of upgrading to the TIVO/DVR myself. Currently I have 2 standalone TIVO's. I can't comment on the quality any more than to say that TIVO allows you to select the quality you want it to tape its programming. I've heard that TIVO will put out a HDTV Tivo/Directv unit this fall. Sounds good except I have dish network.