What's new

DVD with it all for 250 or less??? (1 Viewer)

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I currently own a JVC XV-FA95GD dvd player. It is lacking in many areas but it is a seven disk changer and I got a deal on it (dvd player(open box at BB,+ a pretty decent learning universal+ 4 year performance plan+ cables for $200 bucks) and I couldn't pass it up. I want: DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW compatibility as well as a player that will play mp3's randomly. The player I have will play mp3's but it will not play them back at random and I cannot program mp3's. Screwy! I want progressive scan and prefferably a multiple disc changer. Is it possible to have DVD audio and SACD in the same unit??? If so, I want that too!!!!! If not, either one would be fine but I'm probably more likely to find the DVD-Audio option. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can spend more if absolutely neccessary but I figure with the way the prices are dropping on DVD players, why do it if I don't have to? Thank's in advance, Mike.

I'm looking for about the same a DVD player that will be able to play DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW,MP3,VCD,SVCD,Progressive scan and Great video output. I know there are some DVD players out there that will play just about anything but the brands are Apex, Daewoo,etc.. and picture looks horrible.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I suggest the Panasonic CP-72. It's a 5-disc progressive scan player that will play DVD video/audio, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, VCD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA and MP3 discs. According to the manual, it will allow you to program MP3 playback or use random playback of these files. It also has the great Sage/Faroudja DVDi chipset. It usually goes for around $200 to $250.

However, and this may be a concern for Eddie, the CP-72 will not play SVCD, DVD+RW, or DVD-RW discs.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I second the CP72. Great player and plays lots of formats. The MP3 playback is great and has a menu-like way of finding songs, and has a search function. Got mine for $224 shipped and there currently is a $30 rebate available from Panasonic.

Chris

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And I might put in a word for Sound & Vision's annual equipment guide, which is an excellent source for doing one's own research. If you want such-and-such features in a new DVD player, check the guide out and find the models that come closest to containing the features you want.

Gary Grundy

Auditioning
Well I can buy a JVCXV500 progressive sacn DVD for $258CND or a Panasonic DVDRP62 for $278CND. I have a JVCAV-36P902 HDTV but don't know if there is any advantage to going JVC. All I've found out is that the Panasonic uses a certain Faroudja Chip that is suposed to produce better Video for progressive scan.

Can anyone tell me if there is any significant differences in these machines and if they are the best value for these kind of Dollars?

Also is the JVC XVF80 at $248CND any different than the XV500 other than being a 7 disk changer?

Regards
Gary

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Gary,
It's the DVDRP82 that has the chip not the 62. Do a search here and some other forums for it to read up on the chip it has.

Chris

Gary Grundy

Auditioning
I have confirmed that this chip is in the 62 as well as the 82. The only difference I can see is that the 82 has better audio.
Regards
Gary

UPDATED Complete List: SilImage/DVDO & Sage/Faroudja DVD Players
Corrections & Additions Welcome! A=DVD-Audio; C=Changer; SACD=SACD; *=known to have chroma bug

Silicon Image/DVDO Sil504 (latest version):
Denon DVD-9000 (A); Denon DVD-3800 (A); Denon DVD-2800 Mk.II*; Tag McLaren DVD32R & DVD32FLR (add on board).

Silicon Image/DVDO Sil503:
Denon DVD-2800* (disc.); Ayre D-1x (add on board); EAD TVP (disc.); Camelot Roundtable (nearly disc.); Theta David II* (add on board); Theta Carmen* (add on board); Proceed (add on board); Arcam DV88* (add on board); Arcam DV27*.

Sage/Faroudja FLI2200:
Panasonic DVD-RP56; Denon DVD-900; Denon DVD-1600 (A); Philips DVD-Q50; Philips DVD-962SA (SACD); Samsung DVD-P701*; Yamaha DVD-CX1 (A,C); Yamaha DVD-C920 (A,C); EAD DVD Master 8000 Pro (A); Krell DVD Standard; Kenwood DV-5700 (A,C); Kenwood DV-5900 (A,C); Skyworth 1050*; Hitachi DV-P725; Nintaus PDVD-9769; Parasound DS1 & DS2 (A); Meridian* (A); Sim Audio Moon A/V Stellar* (add on board); all new Panasonic DVD players will use the FLI2200: DVD-RP62; DVD-RP82 (A); DVD-CP72 (C) (continued RP91 and H2000 use Genesis).

RyanSR

Grip
Why does everyone care so much about a layer change? They only last not but a second, don't they? It would seem that priority should be on PQ, detail, ease of use, ability to read various formats, but to base a decision on a layer change?? I just don't get it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, people just want it all. Good sound quality, good picture quality (no chroma bug), good build quality, good looks, features galore, ease of use, an intuitive remote, and yes, a quick layer change. Of course, they want such a player to be cheap too. Just look at the subject of this thread. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks