DVD with 5.1 outputs instead of a receiver??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Pedro_Gil, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Pedro_Gil

Pedro_Gil Auditioning

I was given 5.1 surround sound speakers for X-Mas but I don't have a receiver. I've been doing some research and had some questions regarding DVD players. Some have internal decoders and have the audio outputs for the speakers. If I only want to use the speakers with the DVD player can I simply buy one of these DVD players or do I still need a receiver.

2. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

your DVD player has connections for speakers?

3. Pedro_Gil

Pedro_Gil Auditioning

Not mine but they're available.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

NO- actually DVD players have 6 channel output, which is NOT AMPLIFIED.

Some receiver/dvd combo boxes do have speaker outputs, amplified, designed to have speakers connected- but usually stand alone DVD players have 6 channel PRE AMP outputs, designed to go to a receiver or set of amps for amplification.

Check the FAQ AND PRIMER for more info on this, or this thread talks about the same basic thing:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=177157

-Vince

5. John S

John S Producer

I don't know what quality they are, but if they are anything decent at all, go get a reciever...

6. Troy_A

Troy_A Auditioning

I don't know of any stand-alone DVD player that you can hook speakers to directly. I think what you are referring to is the analog multi-channel outputs. The signal from these must be amplified (powered) by a receiver to drive speakers. You can get a decent entry-level receiver for around $200. That is what I suggest you do.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are units that are both player and receiver, and one of these will work just to get started, but for the price of a decent one, you will be approaching the price of an inexpensive receiver and DVD player. A receiver alone will not get you DVD/CD playback.

What's your budget?

8. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

As others have said, you are probably thinking of analog pre-outs, which are not the same as speaker terminals, you will still need a reciever to make these work.

There are however a few recivers on the market that have built in DVD players. I don't recoment going this route. You will pay nearly as much as if you bought both separately. Not only will you likley end up with a compromised product from the get go, but if the DVD player breaks, or the reciever breaks, then both need to be replaced.

Take care when making a decision. You'd be best to pick comonents that will last you a long time, buy a crappy reciever now, and you may end up disapointed. If I were you I would take a look at the Panasonic XR-15. I have the step up XR-25 and could not be happier.