What's new

DVD with 5.1 outputs instead of a receiver?? (1 Viewer)

Pedro_Gil

Auditioning
I was given 5.1 surround sound speakers for X-Mas but I don't have a receiver. I've been doing some research and had some questions regarding DVD players. Some have internal decoders and have the audio outputs for the speakers. If I only want to use the speakers with the DVD player can I simply buy one of these DVD players or do I still need a receiver.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
NO- actually DVD players have 6 channel output, which is NOT AMPLIFIED.

Some receiver/dvd combo boxes do have speaker outputs, amplified, designed to have speakers connected- but usually stand alone DVD players have 6 channel PRE AMP outputs, designed to go to a receiver or set of amps for amplification.

Check the FAQ AND PRIMER for more info on this, or this thread talks about the same basic thing:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=177157

-Vince

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what quality they are, but if they are anything decent at all, go get a reciever...

Troy_A

Auditioning
I don't know of any stand-alone DVD player that you can hook speakers to directly. I think what you are referring to is the analog multi-channel outputs. The signal from these must be amplified (powered) by a receiver to drive speakers. You can get a decent entry-level receiver for around $200. That is what I suggest you do.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are units that are both player and receiver, and one of these will work just to get started, but for the price of a decent one, you will be approaching the price of an inexpensive receiver and DVD player. A receiver alone will not get you DVD/CD playback.

What's your budget?

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
As others have said, you are probably thinking of analog pre-outs, which are not the same as speaker terminals, you will still need a reciever to make these work.

There are however a few recivers on the market that have built in DVD players. I don't recoment going this route. You will pay nearly as much as if you bought both separately. Not only will you likley end up with a compromised product from the get go, but if the DVD player breaks, or the reciever breaks, then both need to be replaced.

Take care when making a decision. You'd be best to pick comonents that will last you a long time, buy a crappy reciever now, and you may end up disapointed. If I were you I would take a look at the Panasonic XR-15. I have the step up XR-25 and could not be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks