DVD w/HDCD for old/not HD/Dig TV; "interlacing" etc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve & Karen, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

I have a 5 year old big rear projection Pioneer Elite... obviously it is not HD/Digital. I have heard some of the newer DVDs don't actually play as well on llder non-digial TV due to de-interlacing or some such...?

I'd like HDCD and other superior audio CD also, since it is to be dual use.

When I replace the TV in a few years, I figure I will replace the DVD then, so less expensive is okay.

Any suggestions with regard to brand & models?

-Steve

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Toshiba 5700 is a very reasonably priced player that will do HDCD, DVD-Audio, and do a great job with interlaced and non-interlaced video.

I've never heard HDCD, so I can't comment on that. I have the next model down, the 4700. The only thing I don't like about it on the DVD-Audio side is you have to explicitly tell it to output 6ch analog each time you play one and then manually switch it back to digital (if you use that signal normally to the receiver) for movies.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

1. DVD-player.

2. Regarding Toshiba 5700, that actually is exactly the model I thought I had settled on, to tide me over cheaply until new digital TV and higher end DVD player specs mature and price come down... UNTIL I had heard that it did a poor job on non-progressive...?

Other suggestions for relatively low cost DVD-Player options for HDCD and higher quality audio generally, and good playback for old non-HD/non-Dig TV.

-Steve

5. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

I have an Apex 5131 3-disc changer. Around $129 at Sam's Club and Circuit City. Plays HDCD. Give it a look. Some of the older Apexes had problems, but I can't find much to complain about with this one.

For the newer discs and older TVs stuff, DVDs were designed to play on old NTSC sets because that's what everyone had (and most still do). Discs should never have a problem playing unless the player itself is at fault.