DVD w/ Faroujda chip?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Zapatka, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Patrick Zapatka

Patrick Zapatka Stunt Coordinator

Folks,

Anyone know of a listing and/or reviews of DVD players that contain the Faroujda de-interlacing chip? Maybe new models coming out?

I currently have a Sony DVP-S9000ES, which has dual Genesis chips (if I'm not mistaken), and I'm interested in a comparison of the units.

I haven't been able to pull any information up on the net.

Thanks,

Patrick

2. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,
    Secrets of Home Theater (www.hometheaterhifi.com) has an excellent primer for progressive scan DVD's. The review was done last year, so it won't be up to date with the latest models rumored to be coming out. It currently lists the Philips Q50, Panasonic RP56, Kenwood Sovereign DV5700 (not cost effective) as having the Sage/Faroudja chip. Rumor has it that Philips will be out with a SACD player (DVD962)which will also do progressive scan w/DCDi. Philips press releases scheduled for a "spring 2002" release and it's been seen on the net in England and Hong Kong. I e-mailed a question on U.S. release... no response yet. Player is expected to list for $599!! Dual laser (better CD performance).

3. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Check out www.audioasylum.com in the SACD/DVD-A section... multiple posts on Philips SACD/progressive DVD... now there's a DVD963 scheduled for Sept 2002...higher resolution video Dac (13bit/108 MHz), "advanced" bass mgmt, and $100 cheaper ($499)!

4. Patrick Zapatka

Patrick Zapatka Stunt Coordinator