dvd w/built in dolby digital decoder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sammy S, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Sammy S

Sammy S Auditioning

I have a receiver w/pro logic. I was looking at the sony dvd-ns400d dvd player. It says that it has: "a Built-in Dolby Digital 5.1 Channel Decoder". What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that if I hook that baby up to the pro logic that I will get 5.1?

Excuse my ignorance on this one.

Thanks for the clarification.

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

The DD decoding can be in the DVD player or the receiver. If the former, the receiver must have pre-amp inputs for each channel (normally 6 of them), and the DVD player must have the corresponding outputs. These are connected with phono cables.

If the receiver is doing the decoding, there is a digital connection between it and the player -- coaxial or optical. Most people do it this way.

If your receiver has the inputs and is otherwise satisfactory, getting a player that can do the decoding is an economical way to get Dolby Digital.

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Sammy,
    There are very few pro-logic receivers that have what we call 5.1 analog inputs. If yours is one of them, then the answer is yes you can hook up the DVD player with 6 RCA cables and use the DD decoder from the DVD player (speaker setup is in the DVD player menu).
    Otherwise the answer is no you can't take advantage of the DVD players full DD 5.1 decoding capabilities.