DVD w/ 6 channel dig out

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JoanPablo_T, Jul 20, 2005.

1. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

Well I have a question for you guys. I am attempting to locate a Pro field DVD player that will output a full Dolby Digital/DTS signal via seperate 6 channel connections, all digital. I hope that makes sence. Basically I could substitute a consumer that offers 5.1 analog out, but the company I am dealing with is looking for a 6 channel digital out. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

jp

2. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I don't think that's possible, at least in the consumer world. When you say "Pro field" what does that refer to?

3. RichP

RichP Second Unit

Why?

Seriously, why would you want 6 separate connections when all 6 channels are carried perfectly on one?

4. John S

John S Producer

Sounds like somebody wants to remix it somewhat perhaps?

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Is such a beast even existent? I thought all 6 channels were encoded onto DVD in one single digital bitstream...

6. John S

John S Producer

Most decent AVR's can give you the 6 channels but they will analog at that point. I suppose you could just re- A to D them.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Digital is output over a single connection, it gives you the full bitstream. You can also get players with on-board decoders that output analog for all the channels, but I don't know of any way of getting individual digital streams, nor why on earth you would want that as opposed to the universal way of doing it SPDIF over a single connection...

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hey Joan - are you sure you simply dont need a DVD player with 6 ANALOG outputs? This is usually simpler and more universal.

If you wanted 6 digital outputs - it opens up a lot of other questions. Is the digital format PCM/bitstream, DolbyDigital, DTS, etc.? Then there is Mpeg2/3/4, RealAudio, WMA, etc. - All of these are "digital", but they encode things differently.

Look at the electronics you are trying to feed this "digital" signal into. It should specify what type of encoding it wants. And my guess is - it will have a set of analog inputs that will work just fine.

Dont be afraid of analog signals. They transmit nearly perfectly over short distances.

9. RichP

RichP Second Unit

I would say that no, Joan is not simply looking for 6 analog outputs.

10. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

it's not for me, I have an Onkyo [​IMG]

It is for a company that is asking me for something that would have a 6 channel digital out. They do broadcast room schematics and design/installs. They knew i was a HT fiend and they asked me if I knew. And I came to the fine people of the HTForum [​IMG]

thanks for all the assistance.

FYI-- I go by JP, my name is spelled Joan, but promounced John. [​IMG]

yea, my school life was a living hell with my name [​IMG]

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

"6 channel digital out" means to me that they just want digital out which pretty much everything does. All these channels are carried digitally over one cable. I don't know of any product anywhere, that does this digitally over 6 individual cables, even in the professional world.

This is why you left folks here very confused as to what you want, and still confused...

12. John S

John S Producer

As said, Give em 6 analog outs, and buy some A to D converters.. Viola, 6 digital outputs.. [​IMG]