DVD vs SACD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by EldridgeH, Jun 23, 2003.

1. EldridgeH

EldridgeH Auditioning

Hi,
    I was about to buy a Denon DVD-1600 till i read something about SACD. Is this a better version to dvd and should I wait to get a combination unit or is this technology not available yet. Any comments or info would be appreciated. Thanks, Eldridge[​IMG]

2. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

SACD is audio only. It is available now and there are getting to be quite a few players supporting it. Denon's 2900 supports it as well as DVD-A.

The 1600 is a great piece and its video is superb! It also supports DVD-A.

I just ordered a 2900 so I will know Wednesday how much I like it (my standards are no where near as high as other members - still new at this game).

I haave also heard prices are coming down on other combo players.

Pioneer is supposed to release a universal player under $200. Pioneer DV-45 does both as well and is currently around $350.

I am a Denon fan so the 1600 or 2900 would be my personal choice depending on what you need/want.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    If you were considering the Denon 1600, but think you'd prefer SACD instead of DVD-A, then you might want to take a look at the Philips 963sa for ~$400. Do a search around, and you'll find plenty of info about the Philips player, including some high opinions as well as info on some quirks and possible quality control issues.

In the price range you're considering, you probably won't find any DVD player that does DVD/DVD-A or DVD/SACD better than the Denon 1600 and Philips 963sa.

To me, the main thing to consider in choosing between DVD-A and SACD is the availability of titles you care about. So before you choose, you really should check to see what are available to you in each format.

_Man_

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Also see www.sacdinfo.com for a current listing of Super Audio titles and other interesting news items about Super Audio.

[​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eldridge, for $500, you can get the Pioneer Elite DV-45A, which plays both SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Such a machine is often referred to as a "universal player". There are a number of universal players available for $1000-1500. See www.crutchfield.com for a sampling of what is available nin that price range. Finally, Pioneer just released the DV-563A universal player for a mere $180. So regardless of your budget, there is no reason to restrict yourself to one of the hi-rez audio formats.

If the universal players don't suit you for one reason or another, you might look at the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD/CD changer and then any of a number of DVD-Audio players.