DVD vs CD players for Listening to Audio

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by kumar, Apr 16, 2004.

1. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

I have a sony NVP775S (It has SACD functionality too). Its a pretty good player and have enjoyed watching movies and also listening to music in it.

Now, if I want to spend few hundred bucks on a CD Player, would I get more out of it than what my DVD plays right now?

What would I get in a high end or medium end CD Player that my current DVD wont give me?

Thanks
    Kumar

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

you could look for a NAD 541i (or 542, now) cdp that would give you HDCD decoding (look thru your CDs and see how many HDCDs you have?)

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Kumar, I'll give you my standard answer to this often-asked question:

• My contention is that you won't hear any major differences in sound quality whether listening to CDs on a stand-alone, dedicated player or on a multipurpose machine. However...

• Because all but the top-of-the-line DVD players from the major manufacturers (and the "high-end" boutique manufacturers) are flimsily built, run hot, and are not noted for their longevity or ruggedness, I advise that you use yours solely for home-theater purposes while using a dedicated CD player for enjoying music.

This does not apply, however, to machines that can play the new high-resolution music formats, DVD-Audio and SACD.

Others will disagree with this, but it's the way I do things. Or, in Internet-speak, "YMMV."

4. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for both your inputs. I will definetly explore into a dedicated CD. NAD seems to be good choice and well respected.
    Jack, thats a cool logo for the Cool Movie. ;-)

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

are you currently listening to redbook CDs via a digi or analog connection and why?

6. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

I listen to all my CDs/SACDs through my Sony DVD Player. digi for CDs and Analog for SACDs.

7. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Some of the nicer universal players have some pretty nice sounding DACs. I hooked up a Denon 9000 to my HK 7200 and there was a noticable difference in the sound with CD playback. It wasn't night and day but it did sound a bit smoother to me. Try out a Denon 2200,2900, or 5900 (or any of the other's high end) if you can get your hands on one. See if you can hear any difference using the Denon's DAC's compared to the HK DAC's. Let us know what you find. I will probably get the 2900 soon to handle both audio and video.

8. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

You really should be able to hear the difference in a better CD player given that you have an "Above Average" system.

Higher end CD players will have better DAC and OPAMPS. Everything has to go through the OPAMPS before it gets outputted through the analog RCA jacks. Therefore using different opamps will change the character of the sound.

One of my personal favorite opamps to use in my CD players is the highly regarded BurBrown OPA627s. Very smooth and defined sound.

9. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

yeah.. I think in the next couple of weeks time I am going to demo a player. I will keep it posted here all my observations.

Thanks all for your valuable inputs.