What's new

DVD-VR Compatibility (1 Viewer)

Sean Lavery

Auditioning
Hello all :)

A not so quick question regarding DVD-VR:

I have a stand-alone DVD recorder (Pioneer DVR7000) which supports the DVD-VR mode (only recording to DVD-RW). I'm planning on transferring VHS tapes to DVD with this machine. Each VHS is greater than 2 hours necessitating the use of the VR format in order to fit it on one DVD disc. The "video" format supports only 2 modes (1 and 2 hours).

Here's the rub: Jim Taylor (of the DVD FAQ fame) has indicated to me that the DVD-VR format is logically incompatible with 99% of existing (2003) players.

I'm planning on re-authoring the on-screen menus in the DVD's that I create with this machine, which necessitates extracting the assets from the RW media. I was planning on burning the assets along with the new menus back onto a DVD-R (not RW) with my computer, but I'm just not sure if the above mentioned compatibility issues will hinder my workflow.

In other words if I extract the assets from the RW produced on my stand-alone machine, and then re-burn them to a DVD-R disc using my computer's DVD burner, can I then burn those assets to the DVD-R using the "Video" format (as opposed to the VR format that was extracted) to increase logical compatibility?

I understand that DVD-VR still uses MPEG2 compression, but there appears to be something to the VR format that makes it quite useless on all but a few machines. I'm looking for wide compatibility here.

Thanks for any info you can provide in this regard.

Respectfully,

Sean Lavery

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Sean.

FYI, the DVD Etc. section is specifically for discussing articles and reviews with the staff of DVD Etc. magazine. The A/V Sources section is where you post this sort of question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks