What's new

DVD video problem (1 Viewer)

Ed.RR

Auditioning
I am new to this forum and have reviewed the guides and FAQ's, but didn't find anything that could help my problem.

I recently received a Yamaha YHT 300 home theater system. After making all of the connections, everything works fine except some DVD video problems.

I have a Kenwood DV503 DVD player connected to my system, but now have problems with the video portion since connecting to the theater system.

The video portion starts out fine, but after a few seconds the picture begins to get "jaggy" edges, gets darker and finally disappears completly, leaving a blue screen image on my TV. The picture will come back on again in a few seconds and will be clear, but the cycle begins again and the video portion disappears again. The audio portion is great, but am frustrated with the video.

I have noticed that DVD's by MGM and AOL Time Warner work fine, but most of the others seem to have the problem.

I hope some of you experts can help me, as this is very frustrating.

Thanks,

Ed

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Hey, Ed! Nice to see a fellow North Dakotan here. :)
I haven't quite heard of this problem before. My first suggestion would be to swap out the video cables that you're using. Do you have the DVD player hooked up to the receiver and then to the tv? Make sure the connections are tight first, if they are then swap out the cable and see if that solves it.
Also, you can't run a dvd player through a vcr because of the copy protection on dvds. The picture will be scrambled and may possibly exhibit what you're seeing. (though I've never tried it myself) Just in case you're running it through a vcr.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Welcome to the forum! :)
What your describing sounds an aweful lot like you've got the dvd's video running through your vcr. If so, that's your problem no doubt about it, copy protected dvd's do exactly what you've described when ran through a vcr.

Ed.RR

Auditioning
Thanks Leif & John.

I have tried swapping cables and that didn't help. I never thought about the "copy protected" DVD's. I do need to have my VCR on to play the DVD's, so I'll have to figure out a way to play DVD's without going through my VCR.

I have connected everything according to the Yamaha guide though. I don't go directly to the VCR from the DVD, but through the receiver. There are other options in the guide and I'll take a look at those.

Thanks again,

Ed

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Ed, describe to us your system and it's inputs/outputs. There must be another way of hooking the DVD player's video to your display device.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I would think Gladiator would be copyprotected? I copied this along with Scary movie, the Matrix, Top gun, and others

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Unfortunately I am not sure which DVD player I used to do it. It was either a Panny RV31 or a Pioneer. The pioneer would have been a TV/VCR combo. Would I not experiance this problem if I had hooked a VCR to a monitor/video out?

Ed.RR

Auditioning
Thanks to those trying to help me.
Below is the web address to the connection guide for my system. Neil Joseph requested my inputs/outputs and this is the best method I could think of for describing my connections.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/PDFs/QC_yht300.pdf
My TV does have CATV input (used as input from VCR) and composite connectors (Red/White/Yellow).
Thanks,
Ed

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Would I not experiance this problem if I had hooked a VCR to a monitor/video out?
You WOULD have observed the problem if you fed the video into your VCR then watched the results on the output of the VCR. Macrovision detect the recording circuitry in the VCR and somehow changes the video signal level up/down/up throughout the movie.

The Matrix is one of the few mainstream disks that does NOT use MacroVision. (They sold this disk for $14). You may have been lucky enough to only try and tape a few others without it.

Ed.RR

Auditioning
Thanks for all the help. Based on cable routing suggestions, I removed the video out from the DVD to my receiver and directly to my TV's composite video in and changed the video setting on my TV and it worked.:)
Thanks for all the help Leif and John. And to the others who left messages; I was NOT trying to copy DVD's.
Thanks again. (There is better help here than at manufacturers web support sites)
Ed:)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
So I guess what you are currently doing then is using the composite video (yellow) from your DVD player directly to TV, and then using the regular F-style TV coax cable from your VCR to your TV then? Whenever you upgrade your TV in the future, you will see a great increase in picture quality if you use the s-video or component cable hookup from your DVD player to your TV. For now, this is the way to do things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks