dvd video output question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Weldy, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

Will a dvd player output video via componet, svideo, and compostite at the same time.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Most will. A few models require you to select between component and S-video/composite, but I haven't seen this since the first generation of players.

M.

3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I am not aware of any non-progressive DVD players that only send out a video signal through one output at a time. On the other hand, progressive scan DVD players have a switch to turn progressive on and off. (There are a few rare ones that are progressive only.) So, when in the progressive mode, there will be no output from composite or s-video since they only do 480i.

SMK

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Varies from model to model. My JVC won't output progressive via component and interlaced via S-video and composite at the same time--the S and composite connections look like scrambled cable channels when progressive scan is turned on.

I also have a Panasonic CP-72 which will output interlaced thru the S and composite and progressive thru the component connection simultaneously. This is a discontinued model so current Panasonics may not do this.