DVD Video in B&W

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dan Mertz, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Dan Mertz

Dan Mertz Stunt Coordinator

I just had DirectTV installed and now my the video from the DVD player is only in Black & White, no colors. I don't think I changed any of the connections to my DVD player...it currently has a component cable (RBG) going from it to the TV, and an S-video cable from my receiver to the TV, the way it was before DirectTV came out.

Anyone know what would cause the B&W.

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

"Component video consists of three signals. The first is the luminance signal, which indicates brightness or black & white information that is contained in the original RGB signal. It is referred to as the "Y" component. The second and third signals are called "color difference" signals which indicate how much blue and red there is relative to luminance. The blue component is "B-Y" and the red component is "R-Y". The color difference signals are mathematical derivatives of the RGB signal."

Sounds like two of your lines on your component video are loose and/or broken. Try another cable, then another DVD player, if that doesn't work try the DVD player on another TV

3. John S

John S Producer

I'd pull of the connections and re-plug them in. Fairly common when changing equipment actually, cause you only have to get a tug on those connection while your changing others, and bammo, either this, or you loose a color.