DVD-Video & DVD-Audio Digital Interface announced

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Cellini, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

This is welcome news. I hope it is adopted quickly and I also hope that the delay on the 5800 upgrade was to incorporate these guidelines.

Patrick

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Hmmm. I'm a little confused about this...

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Ric,

As I have read it, it does require that the decoding of the MLP stay within the player but the decoded digital bitstream is then available via the firewire port as per the guideline which then makes it similar to what we do now with our CD players/transports and receivers.

A another point is that the copy protection can be inserted after the MLP decoding as I read it.

Patrick

5. Michael St. Clair

6. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

Will SACD acts accordingly?

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

When do you think this transformation take place? Does it mean that our current TV's, receivers, DVD's will become obsolete or will people who bought their equipment over the last couple of years have other options available to them. I bought a Mitsubishi HDTV today and one of the reasons I bought it was because it has the IEEE circuitry, but this is all very confusing to me and I'm sure others. Can anyone explain it in plain simple terms that most of us can understand? Thanks

8. Jamie

Jamie Stunt Coordinator

Firewire inputs on recievers?? Is that what this means? I know a lot of unhappy people out there who just plunked down a significant sum of money for DDEX and DTSES in their receivers............oh how the merry go round goes round huh guys?

9. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

This is welcome news but it still pisses me off. I understand the need for continued advancement of technology but does it have to make all of the equipment we're currently using obsolete? How is this going to go over with the masses, both enthusiasts and J6P? "Yes mom, all of that new stuff you just bought will be useless next year". I know that this is the state of things for computers but does it have to be this way for HT as well?

Thank god I didn't pull the trigger on that new receiver. I'm now officially on 'hardware-upgrade hold' until I hear more about this turn of events. Now, more than ever, I think that it's unwise to spend a fortune on anything but speakers. At least speakers aren't obsolete a year after they come out.

End rant.

PS I really do think that this is good news, I just wish that they could make some of this stuff upgradable or backwards compatible.

10. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

I know this will disappoint many, but I have been holding off on the upgrade of both my DVD player and preamp for this reason. This announcement is earlier than I had anticipated, but you had to know it was coming.

I'll have to wait a bit longer to see what becomes available, but I think this will finally present a buying opportunity and also a bit of stabilization of equipment. Unless you care about 10,20, or 30.1 systems.

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

12. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Unfortunately the answer to this is yes.

13. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

Will this new digital interface also be used for HDTV's?

14. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

The continuing introduction of new features (and PLANNED obsolescence) is the reason that the most important consideration in choosing a receiver is the quality of sound. If your system sounds good (even when compared to true high-end equipment), the need to upgrade every 6-18 months is not all that great. However, when the sound is less than fully satisfying, those new features sure are tempting.

Life-lesson to be learned, don't buy every new piece of gear and each DVD published; rather, save my money so I can buy truly satisfying high-end equipment - - - RIIIIGHT!!!!!!

Marty

15. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Marty,
    Your philosophy is great too bad its just another New Year resolution to most of us.[​IMG] Fortunately for me I managed to hang on not "upgrade" this past year. I am also lucky in that Proceed (I own an original AVP) seems to be really committed to upgrades (slow but thorough) I believe that the upgrade will at least have the connector onboard.
    So it really is better to save a bit more and spend it on equipment whose manufacturer has a commitment to upgrades. Someone recently told me that the lifecycle of most mass market electronics is 6 months.
    rw

16. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Actually, I'm a bit disappointed with the choice of IEEE1394 as the transport mechanism.
    It isn't particularly well suited to "real time" type data operations, but is great for computer data which isn't time or order sensitive.
    Still, some decent buffering would make things relatively easy to work out.
    That being said, the standard was just announced, so realistically I would bet that it will be CEDIA 2002 before we see the first products utilizing this interface for digital transfer of the data to receivers/processors.
    As someone else noted, the DVD-A players will do the MLP decoding, and pass the standard PCM outputs to the Receiver/Processor. This makes sense, as the MLP decode is a DSP intensive process, and it allows Receivers/Processors the ability to do a simpler "retrofit" for lack of a better term -- ie not need a new generation of DSPs to handle the datastream once its into the buffers.
    Specifically to Kevin Q
    Firewire was agreed to as the standardized digital interface for DSD/SACD several months ago.
    However, the DSD bitstream does not have the support infrastructure (crossover and time alignment algorithms readily available) that DVD-Audio (and PCM) do. To date, only Sony Multi-channel SACD players have implemented bass management, and that is a highly limited implementation of a single crossover frequency (100 Hz).
    So, with this announcement, I think that DVD-A will leapfrog SACD in about 6-9 months.
    Regards all,

17. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

18. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

19. Nikos S

Nikos S Auditioning

Okay, I'm very happy with my DVD-A set-up at the moment and I just want to know 1 thing: Will future DVD-A discs work on my current system?

I only care about DVD-A in 2 channel format and I'm elated with the 24/192 music resolution that I listen to. My DVD-A player (Onkyo DV-s939) is mainly geared for sonic performance (quality DACs and a stable transport) and I won't be a happy pup anymore if I have to give it up.

Nikos

20. Michael St. Clair

As far as we still know, there will still be some players forthcoming which will provide for bass management inside the player itself. And no, there is no indication that the discs themselves are going to change, and there is no reason to.
    I hope to buy within the next year a DVD/DVDA/SACD combo player with internal bass management and analog outputs.
    Then, yes, I'll eventually replace it and my receiver and/or pre-pro with all firewire, but not until things shake out some more on all four fronts (DVD/HDTV/DVDA/SACD) for a while.
    Anyhow, with a little patience, there will be options for those who want bass management but don't want to replace the heart of their system.