DVD Vid Caps with Mac G4

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnRice, Feb 15, 2002.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I got a new G4 with DVD-ROM drive almost a year ago and I would like to get vid caps from DVDs. The problem is, the only way i have found to do it is the old screen dump (command-shift-3) but the image is not usable in any programs like Photoshop.

Is there any way I can get usable still image captures with the built-in equipment?

Thanks

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

If you have a Nvidia vid card you can use SnapzPro to do this.

If you have an ATI card, well you can't easily. This is because it uses copyprotection by sending image directly to your screen. (You could also rip the track and take a snapshot from the MPEG-2 file.)

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Now we're getting somewhere. I have the ATI Rage128 Pro that came with the computer. So how do I rip a track in the first place, if that is an option?

So the display card is the problem? I was hoping to add a second display some day. So if I got an Nvidia dual display card to replace my existing one rather than adding a second display card, the problem would also be solved?

Thanks

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Another thought. The Nvidia cards seem to be pretty reasonable. Would it make sense to get a PCI model and use it for my main monitor now and then use the ATI AGP card if I get a second monitor? I'm guessing I would be sacrificing speed and don't know if there are even any PCI Nvidia cards available.

I really don't know about display cards. Is Nvidia actually a chip used by different display card manufacturers? Are there any particular cards you would recommend?

Thanks Again.

5. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Snapz Pro is capable of doing it without any additional hardware, at least on my B&W G3. DVD playback is different on the G4, however, since Apple DVD Player 2.0 and higher use software decoding, and don't require a hardware DVD decoder. I'm still stuck with version 1.3 and a hardware decoder, but I can also simply do a screen grab of the DVD window and open it in Photoshop.

By the way, Photoshop can open normal screen captures, since they're stored in PICT format. I seem to remember reading something about it not working with DVD windows since they aren't treated as part of the "desktop", though.

6. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I still haven't gotten past this problem. When I take a screen capture, I just get a black box when I open the image in Photoshop. I do have an ATI display card. I'm also having trouble finding an external capture device that doesn't cost $300. I'm not trying to capture full motion video, just stills.

Will an Nvidia display card solve it? If so, any suggestions on what to get?

Thanks

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Well?

Any suggestions other than a Dazzle capture device for $250+?

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'd bypass the Dazzle capture in favor of the nVidia card. The GeForce 4 cards just came out for the Mac. Good luck in finding one.

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Thanks. But WHO MAKES nvidia cards that are Mac compatible?

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

12. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Thanks, Michael.

I don't mean to sound dense, but many of these cards don't seem to tell anywhere online if they are Mac compatible. It seems Visiontek makes several and they have them at Best Buy, so I will just go down there and actually look at the boxes to see if they are Mac compatible. Manufacturers tend to do this and it really annoys me!

13. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

John - one of the challenges is that nVidia is not allowed, under contract, to release their own Macintosh drivers for their cards. The only drivers are those released by Apple. Unfortunately, the Apple drivers are not as unified as the Detonator drivers nVidia releases for the PC and don't necessarily support the full range of nVidia cards.

I'd stick to the same chipset that Apple ships with their systems. Currently, those chips include the GeForce 2 MX, GeForce 4 MX, and GeForce 4 Titanium. I don't believe Apple ever released any systems with the GeForce 3 chipset. Though the Apple drivers may work, you are probably better off going with one of the three chipsets above.

-greg

14. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Thanks Greg.

Good info to know. It seems I can pretty easily get a GeForce4 MX in the form of a VisionTek 420 or 440 at a fairly reasonable price locally. Even if they were out, I'm not spending $400 for a 4 Ti. Do you happen to know if these VisionTek models specifically state Mac compatibility? The only drivers I am finding at MacDownload and Apple Software Updates are for the GeForce2 MX.

15. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

The GeForce 3 was available in the 2001 QuickSilver series G4's (I'm reading this thread via one right now). The Mac drivers are universal for all the nVidea cards, there aren't seperate ones for the GeForce 2, 3, and 4 cards. I don't know if they are compatible w/ the retail GeForce cards however.

16. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

John,

You must buy your nVidia video card directly from Apple. The VisionTeks are PC only as they just have a PC BIOS flash, whereas you need one with a Mac BIOS flash. You might want to try and call Apple and ask them how much they are, I couldn't find them on their website at all.

17. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

18. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I guess I really need to call Apple. Visiontek doesn't even mention Mac anywhere on their site.

19. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

I'm resurrecting this thread because, for the Mac users among us who still can't capture video frames from our DVDs, I just found a way to do it. It's freeware (beta), not OS X compatible, but works like a charm in OS 9. The software is called yade 0.3b (as in Yet Another DVD Extractor). Here's the link:
    http://www.opuscc.com/download/
    I have a dual 1GHz G4 with the nVidia card, yet Snapz Pro didn't work for me either, but this one does. I'll try it on a couple of other Macs to see if it works universally. All you need is a DVD drive.

20. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Outstanding, Tony.

I will try it today. I'm glad you posted this. I had gotten the clear impression that my problem was my ATI display card and that an nVidia would solve it. Your computer has the newest MX4, so that apparantly isn't the problem. Do you suppose it is actually an OS copyguard as I had originally suspected?