dvd/vcr combo players, stay away?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by max.p, Dec 7, 2003.

1. max.p

max.p Auditioning

Well our two year old just broke our vcr. We'd like to be able to play vhs tapes (kids tapes) and move up to dvd also. Are we better off buying separates? If so,any recc's on dvd players (~$100-150)? We don't have hdtv or anything.
    Thank you.

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I recently had the opportunity to buy a combo player after the VCR that served my bedroom HT died. I gave my old Panasonic DVD player to my dad and went in search of a good combo unit. I decided on a Daewoo combo unit at BB priced at $120.00. This unit disappointed as it was noisy during VHS playback and in DVD operation the zoom mode left a graphic in the lower left hand corner that was very annoying. I took it back a week later and opted for a Zenith combo unit which I have been very pleased with. This unit was about 50 bucks higher than the Daewoo, but the extra money is apparent in the construction and operation. I have had the unit now almost a year and it is still going strong with no problems whatsoever.

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

The JVC combo unit I bought for my mother has outlasted both DVD players I've owned. Don't remember exactly how much I paid, around $150 or 160 from Crutchfield.

4. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Check out the JVC HR-XVC33U or, if you want S-VHS, the HR-XV44U. Both players' DVD component can handle all the popular formats; DVD video, CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, VCD, SVCD, MP3, JPEG.

5. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

i bought a sansui combo player about a year ago to help solve a lack of audio inputs on my old tv. also, my dvd player would not do mp3s. the thing works great!

ag.

6. max.p

max.p Auditioning

Thank you for all the comments! I guess I will reconsider the combo player as a solution after all. I guess it's safer to pay a little more for the combo.

7. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I would never buy a combo player of any variety. The reason is if the VCR part breaks/dies you have to replace the whole unit and vice versa. Even if you get it repaired, you are out both pieces during the repair.

You've got two components in one, that makes it twice as likely to break.

Just My 2 cents

8. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

very valid point, and one that i used for years. however, in my case the combo player solved a problem, so i went with it. i figure when this thing dies i will replace it with a recordable dvd player, and forget vhs. at least in the ht room. or i might send the combo to the bedroom system and get a dvd recorder sooner.

ag.

btw, i switched from seperates to a receiver 10 years ago. things have changed!

9. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I don't think I would recommend a combo unit as a source for a main HT system. However, for light use, say in a bedroom, the systems are hard to beat, especially if you have a significant number of titles on tape as I do.

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

One thing you might want to consider in a combo unit is can you record DVD's without Macrovision in them to VHS. Some units will let you do this & other units won't. I would also take a look at the menu systems on them to see how easy they are to use. Just my 2 cents.

11. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Bill is right. Fortunately, my Zenith combo unit has the ability to record non-Macrovision encoded DVDs to tape with just one touch. If the DVD is encoded the combo unit will issue a warning on screen that the copying cannot be done.