What's new

DVD upscaling to 4K (1 Viewer)

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
How is your DVD upscaling to 4K?

I just got a Sanyo FW65R70F, and I'm viewing disks from an old Sony BDP-S360. Upscaling from blu-ray looks great, but upscaling from DVD, though in places impressive for 24x upscaling, is sometimes swimming in artifacts.

I tried setting the blu-ray player to output at 480i so that the TV would be doing all the upscaling, but that was even worse.

But my blu-ray player is an early model circa 2009. Do later blu-ray players, and 4K players, upscale from DVD better? How about the Samsung K8500?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I tends to depend on the DVD. A good anamorphic DVD can look surprisingly good. Non-anamorphic ones look like crap. There are a lot of factors that can play into causing problems. In general, I think the general consensus is that upscaling, even in cheaper gear, has gotten very good. I'm sure a newer player will do better, and a better (more expensive) player will do even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks