DVD under $800 or so

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Wes, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Tim_Wes

Tim_Wes Auditioning

I'm looking to buy a DVD player (rookie here) and was wondering about suggestions to look at. I have budgeted $800 but really not locked on it. I have a Denon 4802 and plan to get a Sharp 9000 projector. Not sure about the speakers but I'm thinking about B&Ws or Martin Logans. I've always been a fan of the electrostatic open sound. I've listened to the Definitives and tried to like them with all the good reviews but it just didn't happen for me. I will use the system as audio alone on occassion. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If you are looking to get something right away, the Panasonic RP-91 is popular here(I own one--it's a very nice player for the money), but it's on its way to being discontinued.

If you can wait a few months, a new generation of players will be out like the Denon 3800(includes DVD-A w/bass management) and the Pioneer 47A(DVD-A & SACD). Both look good on paper, but they will be a little over your budget at retail(around $1000), although you could probably find a good deal online.

They should go through the testing paces here pretty soon. Perhaps Obi will get his hands on the Pioneer and give us a review and I would imagine the guys at 'Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity' will give us a heads up, as well.

Good luck,

DJ