dvd & tv both have 3:2 pulldown?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ted Lee, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i'm looking at rear-projection tv's and i see a lot of them mention 3:2 pulldown. then i see that a lot of progressive scan dvd players also have 3:2 pulldown.

so...

1. when i hook the two of them up, which one is doing the actual decoding?

2. how is it determined and is there a preferred methodology for this?

3. will i be getting 1080i or 720p?

thx!

ted

-----------

backstory: i'm getting a new rear-projection and progressive dvd player soon, so i was just curious how to hook them up.

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Which one does the actual decoding depends on if you set your DVD player to output a progressive or interlaced component signal. This is usually done in the DVD player's set up menu. Of course, be sure to use the component hookups from the player to the TV.
    There are some advantages to doing the deinterlacing in the DVD player rather than in the TV, but there are a wide range of variables that can have an effect on that. Assuming the TV and DVD player have equally good 3:2 pulldown deinterlacing, go with setting the DVD player to progressive. In certain instances, though, the TV might do a better job.
    What you'll end up seeing will usually be 480p. There's a few TV's that upconvert it to 540p or 1080i, though.

Chad

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

If you send the TV a 480P signal, the TV auto detects that and disables its 3:2 routine.

The 3:2 feature is not active with HD signals.

Regards

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ohh..okay..thanks.

i think i read somewhere that it's usually better to let the dvd player do the pulldown since it stays in the digital domain? or am i getting that concept wrong?

in any case, it sounds like the tv will detect the proper setting anyway???