What's new

DVD turns 5 (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdtalk.com/ourweek/
To mark the occasion, many of the major studios got together to celebrate, discuss and lament over DVDs first five years at the DVD at 5 Conference held in Marina Del Rey, California. While there were no amazing revelations at the DVD at 5 conference, I did get a strong sense of how the studios look at DVD, where they're putting their focus and where they see it going. It was an interesting insight into the past, present and future of DVD.
DVD is International
If there was one mantra that was repeated over, and over and over again at the conference, it was - 'DVD is International'. One of the major problems studios have had with VHS is that it never played as well internationally as it did in the US. An interesting thing has happened with the release of DVD - Europeans (especially in the UK, France, Germany and Spain), the Japanese, and Australians have been buying DVDs in record numbers. When they look at the growth Internationally things are on course to reach 'parity' with the US in terms of DVD adoption soon. It's a huge deal and it's got many of the studios thinking globally with their DVD releases.
This is actually very good news for DVD consumers outside of the US. While many studios have played around with pricing schemes and rental windows, the cold hard numbers are showing them that when they release DVDs for sell through first and foremost, they end up selling more DVDs. So look for International DVD events like Harry Potter on big titles and less of a patchwork release strategy for the rest.
------------------------------------------------------------
there is much more on the issues of dvd and vhs amongst other topics. so head over there.
:D

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's already been around longer than CED was on the market (including the grace period where they were putting out new movies after they quit making players!)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
It's time to celebrate DVD's birthday
It happens every year
We buy our titles in OAR
And drink a lot of beer

Happy 5th birthday to a rocking format!

Sincerely,

John "Guess what song I spoofed in that DVD toast?" Kilduff

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Gosh, I got into DVD back in June 1997 and things were very painful back then because I got this great new toy but there were only a handful of movies available to buy for the longest time (months). Also there were so many threats to the format. It's great to see how well things are now but it took many battles from the early adopters to get things to this point.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Amen to that Neil. Some of us don't so fondly recall the days when a trip to Best Buy would net a grand total of 5, count 'em 5! DVD sightings . It really has come a long way in a short period of time.

Bruce

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
DVD is just five years old? I would have guessed it to be a bit older than that. The first time I heard of DVD was in November of '97 when I was working @ Circuit City. If my numbers are correct that means Divx was announced less than a year after DVD was released? Their chances for success would have been much better had Divx been launched at the same time as DVD rather than trying to steal the momentum of a format that yet to be established.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The birthday wish is belated, isn't it? DVD hit the market on March 24, 1997, with Warner selling 34 titles in 7 cities. Or if you want to count the date that Warner officially went nationwide with DVDs, it was on August 22, 1997.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks