DVD troubles........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Matthew, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Stephen Matthew

Stephen Matthew Stunt Coordinator

Finally got a dvd player, nothing fancy but it ws free.. a cheapo magnavox from CC, anyways, the movies change colors from light to dark occasionally and the screen turns blue at various times during the movie. i try swapping from the ancient (circa 1984) sony trinitron im watching to a newer Tv and it is just dimmer but does the same thing. the signal path is from the dvd player through some rca type plug. im not up to date on any of this stuff so bear with me please.. it is a yellow rca plug.. it runs into the back of my cheapo vcr and from there it runs through coaxial cable to my tv... the vcr is used for a tuner and does a fine job of it.. i would try swapping the vcr, but i only have one that has cable inputs and my other tv doesnt have a remote... anyways, i swapped out the dvd player for another one of a different model and it is doing the exact same thing.. strangely, it does it on dvds, but not on some fuzzy vcd's i have ... which has me puzzled.. perhaps my cheap vcr cant handle the amount of data... i have a lot of high end equipment to work with, it is all just very old, vry high end for the early 80s that is...

thanks for any help you can give

2. Matt Roy

Matt Roy Auditioning

Hi Stephen,

I have seen this before and I believe that it is due to copyright protection on the DVD's...some do it and some don't. What you will need to do is connect the DVD player directly to the TV or go through your amp if it has monitor out. I think the "protection" is built into the VCR although I thought that it was only on fairly new VCR's (6-7 years old or less).

I have seen this problem when you connect 2 VCR's together as well (as some people do to dub videos). In Australia there is a product called an AVS-2 which cures this....it's available from either Avico or RM Trading....I can't remember which as it has been 6 years since I sold one (I used to work in a hi-fi store).

Hope this helps you out !

Cheers !!!

3. Stephen Matthew

hmmm... actually the vcr i am using is fairly new, only about a year old, but very cheap.. my ht amp does have a monitor out, but it is another yellow rca connection, and my tv only has antenna inputs.. actually had to plug the coaxial cable into the vhf or uhf connection (coaxial type) and tune into the vcr.... works very well for cable, amazing picture for a tv this old... hmmm.. any way to convert a rca connection to a coaxial cable and get decent results??

4. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

If you are running your DVD player to your TV through your VCR, no matter what, you will get light to dark images. This is the copyright protection system called Macrovision. You will have to route the player direct to your TV to eliminate it. I am surprised you are getting any signal at all- as a lot of VCR's will just shut the signal down when fed with macrovision.

5. Stephen Matthew

man, what a rip-off... oh well.. guess that means i need a new tv?? or is there some way to convert from the rca style connection to a coaxial cable connection??

6. Stephen Matthew

oh and thoe 150.9 is in a car.. man in a house that would be sick!

7. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

I'm willing to bet that Radio Shack sells some sort of converter to do what you want. If I get a chance I'll search on the Rat Shack website. You should too.

8. TommyB

TommyB Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,

You'll need to purchase a RF Modulator ($20-$30) from Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc. You will feed your yellow composite cable from the DVD to the modulator, then coax to the TV.

9. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

10. Stephen Matthew

thanks so much guys, you all have been a great help, ill give it a shot and let you know how it turns out

thanks!

11. Stephen Matthew

Got a cheapo rf modulator and it works!!!! i need to isolate the 500 various things i have plugged into the wall socket to try and kill the waves in the view now, but all the problems went away.

thanks much guys!!

12. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

13. Stephen Matthew

yuo should hear 175db... just from standing outside it your heart skips a beat.. insane.. though alot of that stuf is frequency dependant.. lower frequencies will feel louder and are much harder to reach high levels in a car... most of the comp cars over 170db (not too many of them and all are very expensive) are using test tones in excess of 70hz.. i use 51hz most of the time... though there has been one person to exceed 160db using a tone below 20hz.. Richard Clark's 6ft sub supposedly did 160db at 16hz... using 250kw or something like that.. insane...