What's new

DVD trailers not in 5.1 digital? (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hello,

I am not sure if it is just my RCA and Panasonic DVD players or if this is the way the studio wants it. On most DVD's when I sellect a trailer from the main menu the sound only comes out of the front left and right speaker. No center or surround information at all unless I switch it to pro-logic. Can someone please explain why the studios do this? Some trailers like "Gladiator" sounded really good in a movie theater and was fully encoded in 5.1. On DVD all I get is the 2 main channels only. I know it is possible to do 5.1 because the trailer on the "Fast and the Furious" DVD is encoded in 5.1. One of the first times I have seen this.

Chris

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
>No center or surround information at all unless I switch it to pro-logic. Can someone please explain why the studios do this?

It's because there's no law that says they have to. I don't really care all that much to be honest. Is there such a big call for anamorphic trailers in 5.1? It's a nice frill but not something that is a cause to rally for.

T.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
All 1999-present trailers have Dolby Digital tracks.

On the DVD, though, it's a question of disc space.

I'd rather see space given to the feature than the supplements.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
This was my one big beef with the Episode 1 DVD. With one disc for strictly extras, Lucas should have made the trailers 5.1. A small pittance for the overall quality of the disc though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks