1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD trailers not in 5.1 digital?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Hello,

I am not sure if it is just my RCA and Panasonic DVD players or if this is the way the studio wants it. On most DVD's when I sellect a trailer from the main menu the sound only comes out of the front left and right speaker. No center or surround information at all unless I switch it to pro-logic. Can someone please explain why the studios do this? Some trailers like "Gladiator" sounded really good in a movie theater and was fully encoded in 5.1. On DVD all I get is the 2 main channels only. I know it is possible to do 5.1 because the trailer on the "Fast and the Furious" DVD is encoded in 5.1. One of the first times I have seen this.

Chris

2. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

>No center or surround information at all unless I switch it to pro-logic. Can someone please explain why the studios do this?

It's because there's no law that says they have to. I don't really care all that much to be honest. Is there such a big call for anamorphic trailers in 5.1? It's a nice frill but not something that is a cause to rally for.

T.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    All 1999-present trailers have Dolby Digital tracks.

On the DVD, though, it's a question of disc space.

I'd rather see space given to the feature than the supplements.

4. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

This was my one big beef with the Episode 1 DVD. With one disc for strictly extras, Lucas should have made the trailers 5.1. A small pittance for the overall quality of the disc though.