What's new

DVD Toslink & Composite Digital Out Toshiba & Pioneer (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Might anyone know if Toshiba~SD2200 and Pioneer~DV656A DVD players output their digital feed ~{to both Toslink and Composite}~ *at the same time*????

I'd like to run a digital feed to a Receiver and also to a separate Pre at the same time.

Only one digital feed would be used at a time of course.

I do not have a Toslink cable at this time, so I can't check to see if both feeds are alive.
Not to mention you might have to make a selection of Tos, Composite, or both in the menu somewhere possibly. Never have used the Tos connection on either player so have no idea if this double feed to (2 separate units) is possible.
Getting both the (Toslink and Composite from each player to output a digital signal simultaneously) that is....

Also both user manuals are at my parents house in storage... Arggg
Yeh I know, great place for them! :rolleyes

Anyone know for sure, or your best guess??

Thanx
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hello all

21 views and no answer or maybe a best guess, bummer...:frowning:

Logic tells me that both feeds "should be alive". Hate to guess on this obviously!!!
I will be able to tell if this is the case in a few more days, as a high end Tos cable is on the way.

I was pretty sure someone might know the answer to this question even if it dealt with a (different brand/model) DVD player. This would be better than nothing!

If somebody could test their player, regardless of brand or model, it would be very much appreciated...!!!

Simply plugging the DVD players Digital Composite cable into your Receiver and then run another digital Toslink cable "from the same DVD-player" into a "different digital input" on your Receiver.
You could then switch between the Receivers 2 digital inputs to see if the player indeed feeds the digital signal out to ~{both the Tos and Composite at the same time}~.

If someone is kind enough to try this for me, I thank you very much!!!!:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

It will help me immensely in how I rewire a very complicated bedroom system containing 18 separate components, this dose not include speakers, TV, or subs.

Regards
Geoff

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Hey, its July 4th, give us a break, we are all eating hotdogs and drinking beer!

Don't have your gear, but all my gear has them both on at all times. My Pioneer 45A has then both on, as does my Sony 650D DVD Changer.

It has been my experience that players normally have them both on at all times, but some receivers and pre/pros require that you asign and/or turn the inputs on.

Hopefully someone with your gear will reply.

BGL

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Brian

Thanks for your player input.

I posted this a number of days ago so it's not like, hey hurry up people!!! :D

I am pretty sure this is the case,(both feeds live), but hoped that others with Toshiba players along with the Pioneer people might chime in. Your Pio doing both outputs give me the hope I desperately need.

Ordering a bazillion cables Monday and will order the Extra Tos cables also.

Again thanks for the info on both your players!!!

Regards
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yup, all 3 players are alive on both digital feeds.

The Toshiba, Pioneer and a China (forget the brand name) all region macro free player also.

Thanks again
Geoff

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Geoff, for future reference, it's called a "coax" (or "coaxial") digital out. "Composite" refers to a type of video connection that uses the same type of RCA connector.

M.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Perhaps a good way to do this in the future would be to plug something into the coax and see if the optical port with nothing in it was still putting out the red light.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Michael

Yup I know the difference, just had a brain fart with the Tos & composite thing.

Should have been Tos and Digi-Coax!:rolleyes

Sorry about that guys, but the question did get answered in the end.

Tho could it could mess with newbies heads, and I don't want to do that. It's tough enough getting started in HT, let alone reading screw ups like mine...:b

Cheers
Geoff

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have had a bunch of Pioneer players, 414, 333, 05, 45a, and 47ai. All of them output both optical and coax at the same time.

Oh yeah, the reason why I was staying away from this thread, was that I thought it might have been another, "which is *better*, optical or coax?" thread. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks