What's new

DVD to show off set-up? (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Anyone have any specific movie scenes that would be good choices to show off an HT set-up? Probably the best soundtracks I own are LOTR and Phantom Menace, so something from either of those would be great if you can think of anything. Other suggestions are certainly welcome too, however. Thanks!

Outlaw 1050
Panasonic RV32K
Paradigm Monitor 5's
CC-370
Mini-Monitors
SVS PCi20-39

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Pearl Harbor (DTS)
U-571 (DTS)
From Hell (DTS)
Air Force One
Atlantis
Blade II (DTS)
Brotherhood Of The Wolf
Gladiator (DTS)
The Haunting (DTS)
JPIII (DTS)
The Matrix
Monsters, Inc.
Ronin
Saving Private Ryan (DTS)
Titan AE (DTS)
Toy Story 2
We Were Soldiers

Good Enough?????? That should be something for everyone's tastes.

Ed

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
You want to show off your SVS and you mention LOTR in the same sentence. You've answered your own question. Pop in LOTR and go to the chapter called "Balin's Tomb" (it's where the skeleton goes down the well and they get attacked by a Cave Troll). Rumble city!
The THX opening on Phantom Menace is big-time as well.
One of my favorites to demo my SVS is the train-wreck sequence from Unbreakable. I like to play it one time around with my sub turned off, then kick the sub back on and play it again. The LFE in that sequence (start from where he has his head against the window just before he notices something's wrong) is so low that your main speakers can't even try to produce most of what's there. Then you turn the sub back on and the same scene is suddenly shaking the whole room! :)
The lobby shoot-out through the helicopter crash in The Matrix is decent as well. For a master list, the SVS website used to have a run-down of great movies for giving your sub a workout. It's been a while since I've looked for it, but I bet it's still there.
As for the rest of your speakers, The Fifth Element Superbit is excellent, but the regular release is very good as well. The opening battle sequences from the Battle of Normandy in Saving Private Ryan has great surround, but the subject matter is so serious that I rarely use that one as a "Hey, let's have a good time with the HT" demo. Gladiator is good right when they enter the arena during the "Battle of Carthage" scene. They walk from the tunnel into the arena, and the crowd noise just envelopes you. LOTR,Phantom Menace and The Matrix will do good for you whole set-up as well.
I'm sure there are many, many others that I'm not thinking of just now. Good luck!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Here's what I demo, In the order of worse to best:

We Were Soldiers (Intro and plane bombardment)
The Matrix (Intro, The lobby scene/Helecopter crash)
Titan AE (Ice Crystals)
SW the phantom Menace (THX Intro, Pod Race Scene)
Monsters Inc. (THX Intro, Sock Exploding, Girl crying/laughing scene)
LOTR (Path to Mushrooms, and Troll/Bridge scene)

I think I've generally liked anything THX Certified.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Wow, thanks guys.....that'll work just fine. I'll only have about five or ten mins to crank it up, so I'll arrange to play a few of the recommended scenes. (In all actuality, I "demo" the speakers and "show off" the sub....I love my SVS :)
Thanks again guys.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
One of my favourite mixes is A Bug's Life a it does not distract, has voices coming form split surrounds and more. Tops for me also are...
- Toy Story 2
- Titan AE
- The Fifth Element SB
- Titanic
- Gladiator
- Vertical Limit SB
- The Perfect Storm
- Terminator 2 UE
- Episodes 1 and 2

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Here we go:
Blade II
Gladiator
Fight Club
The Fifth Element SB (ZX-1)
Toy Story 2 (Crossing the Road Scene)
LOTR Expanded version
Star Wars Episode I/II
Die Hard 1/2/3
The Haunting (DTS)
A Bug's Life (Collector's Edition, if you can find it)
Amadeus Director's Cut
Pearl Harbor
The Rock Criterion
Tombstone Vista Series
Rush Hour 2
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (SB has DTS)
Suspiria
Cast Away
The Mummy (Ultimate Edition)
Terminator 2 (Ultimate Edition)
Independence Day 5-Star collection (GREAT intro + THX)
The Matrix
Ronin
U-571 (DTS)
THAT should keep you occupied for a while. :D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I think Blade II is the most well rounded Demo title. Great ambiant sounds during the quiet parts, unbelievable bass during the nightclub scene and great separation of sound during the action sequences AND it's in DTS. You really cannot beat this title for demo quality.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Finally someone said Fight Club. The dynamics in that movie are CRAZY! Try the mid-air explosion. Also, the end (Chapter 35 and 36) is quite nice for low bass.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Two of my favorites for demos are The Matrix and Twister (DTS soundtrack). The opening scene of Twister will impress your friends, if it doesn't make them soil their drawers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks