DVD to Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Midnite, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Tim_Midnite

Tim_Midnite Auditioning

Hey!. Just a quick question about the connections between the DVD player and the receiver. Are all the connections really necessary? I mean you have the digital coax, six analog ports for 5.1, and the 2 port analog. Which ones do you really need? I know you need the coax for the Digital.....but what are the 6 analog and the 2 analog for? Please.....nobody make fun of me....I'm new.

Thanks

2. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

I guess that depends on how you want to use your amp/receiver. If the DVD has better DAC than the amp, then I'll use the 6 analog outputs of the DVD and connect them to 6 analog inputs on the receiver, thus forgetting about the coax connection. On the other hand, if the DAC in the receiver is better than the DAC in the DVD, then I'd use the coax to send the digital signal to the receiver and let it do the conversion. In this last case, you can forget about the 6 analog outputs on the DVD. ANd what about the 2 analog ports?
    This I don't know... In my case, I own a Marantz DVD DV4100 OSE, which is SVCD capable. However, audio from SVCD only go through the 2 analog channels, so I must have them connected to the receiver. Other than this... I don't know.