DVD to Receiver to TV Video Connection Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Brennan, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I purchased a new receiver this past weekend (Yamaha HTR-5590) and for the first time, I am going to hook up all of my video components through the receiver, then out to the TV via an S-VHS cable.

My TV is a Toshiba 48” that is about six years old. There are no component inputs, just S-VHS.

My question is this: Can I connect my DVD player to the receiver via component cables, then output an S-VHS cable from the receiver to the TV? Provided this is possible, would I actually benefit in any kind of improvement in the picture quality?

Thanks for any info; I’ve been having a hard time finding an answer to this.

2. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

I don't believe you can do that. I've seen some receivers convert S-video to component, but not the other way around. It would be best to stay with the S-video if you are going to go through the receiver.

Even if you could, there would be no benefit, and actually you would 'removing' some quality of the picture if you DVD player is Progressive. I know 'removing' is not the best way to describe it, but it would be a step down in quality.

3. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I know what you are saying Hank. I just thought maybe it would be an option. I'm going with Monster Video 3 S-Video Cables from DVD to Receiver to TV.

I guess I'll have to wait until I upgrade my TV to try component connections.