DVD to DVHS video comparison

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Mac, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

2. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

Those shots from The Right Stuff really show off the difference in artifacts between DVD/NTSC and HD, especially around the characters' bodies. Color gradations are much smoother as well.

Too bad HBO made the wrong decision about OAR though, evident in the Gladiator shots. You'd think they'd realize that enthusiasts are the ones buying into HD, and enthusiasts insist on OAR for the most part.

With D-VHS decks down to $750 and the selection bulking up, it might almost be time for me to buy into it. I upgraded to a front projection system a few months back, and DVD's flaws are much easier to discern. I live in an apartment building though, and am unable to get cable channels in HD, so my broadcasts would be limited to OTA, which I never watch. My inability to record anything other than Jay Leno has prevented me from moving to D-VHS to this point.

3. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

Fantastic post Mark.

I know time is precious but I'd be extremely grateful if you'd do many more of these comparisons - I'm interested in the difference in picture quality.

If possible do an older release - say from the 1970s. They say its more difficult to see improvements with older transfers - I'd like to see actual comparisons - just like yours. A good movie to try maybe - Close Encounters etc.

Thanks again for your comparison.

4. Jay Sylvester

I just phoned Comcast and was told that they plan on rolling out HDTV via cable in the coming weeks, so I put myself on the list of people to be contacted when it's ready. Provided they can get the service to a respectable level, I'll subscribe. My digital cable drops out so often though that I'd be concerned about actually recording anything and having it turn out okay.

5. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

BTW: Gladiator will be shown on ABC-HD 720p in two parts, on Nov 1st and 2nd.
    2hrs long each.[​IMG] Lots of promos and commercials. What fun. Let's hope they do the right thing and OAR it, but I doubt they will, they rarely do.

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

So D-VHS widescreen releases are 16 x 9, regardless of OAR?

7. Jay Sylvester

Those screen captures are from D-VHS recordings taken off HBO-HD, who unfortunately MAR their presentations to fit a 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio. For 1.85:1 films, it's not so bad since they're only removing the mattes (like so many 1.85:1 films transferred to DVD at 1.78:1), but HBO modifies 2.35:1 films to fit a 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

Pre-recorded D-Theater releases are in their OAR (so far). Since it's a niche product for enthusiasts, I doubt we'll ever see 2.35:1 films cropped or otherwise modified from the original composition.

8. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

I split the page up in sections for easier loading and i added a couple shots from Lord of the Rings, Ill add more in the next couple days.