DVD/Subwoofer output problem

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dean Naramore, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Dean Naramore

Dean Naramore Auditioning

Hi there, new subscriber.

Got a new DVD for Christmas, INXS's videos (please hold mocking laughter to a minimum, I actually asked for it). So I'm listening to it, and for whatever reason check my sub, and nothing's coming out. I have an Onkyo Dolby Digital receiver, all speakers hooked up including subwoofer and sub amp, a DVD player, and DVD recorder/player. So I raise the level of the sub amp, no difference. So I pause the player, and click on the receiver menu to calibrate the speaker levels, and I get a subwoofer signal output that way. Unpause DVD, still no output. Pause, do a menu check on receiver, all good; menu check on the DVD player, all good; and menu check on the DVD itself, all good. Check the connections, good.

So then I pop the DVD into the other DVD player/recorder. No sub output.

So then I pop another DVD into both players, and I get sub output.

Has anyone encountered this with a DVD, much less a _music_ DVD? Am I doing something wrong here? Could this be a bad DVD?

Can anyone give me a clue here?

Thanks,

DN
    Cincinnati, OH

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Is the INXS video stereo, 5.1, mono? For some reason the disc is not outputting LFE signals.

3. Dean Naramore

chuck solo asked:

"Is the INXS video stereo, 5.1, mono? For some reason the disc is not outputting LFE signals."

it's in dolby digital. my onkyo receiver automatically detects dolby digital signals, and thus with this one when i put it in and start it up, the receiver displays that it's in dolby digital. but nothing's coming out of the sub. yet, i pop the disc out, put in the barenaked ladies (another pop group) music videos dvd, and it's also in dolby digital, and i get subwoofer output. what gives?

thanks,

DN
    Cincinnati, OH

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Sounds like it might be a defective disk. Perhaps there was a mixup when they mastered it.

On the other hand, I've found 80's music lacking in bass in general. But to get nothing is wierd.

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Yes, but Dolby Digital can be 5.1, stereo 2ch, or even mono. In your case it looks like the media (DVD) isn't putting out LFE signals to the sub. If another disc works, then it has to be the disc that is the offender. I would assume that the disc is also DVD-Video and not DVD-Audio correct?

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

If the DVD was mixed with no '.1' LFE track and you have your speakers set to "Large" in your receiver, you will get no subwoofer output. This is probably the case. Depending on the abilities of you main speakers to reproduce low bass, you may benefit from switching your main speakers to "small" and allowing your sub to reproduce all the bass instead of just the LFE.

7. Dean Naramore

chuck solo wrote:

"I would assume that the disc is also DVD-Video and not DVD-Audio correct?"

i believe so. the box shows the logos for dts, ntsc, _dvd video_, and dolby digital.

------------------------------

jeff gatie wrote:

"If the DVD was mixed with no '.1' LFE track and you have your speakers set to "Large" in your receiver, you will get no subwoofer output. This is probably the case. Depending on the abilities of you main speakers to reproduce low bass, you may benefit from switching your main speakers to "small" and allowing your sub to reproduce all the bass instead of just the LFE."

give that man a prize! i just went back and in the receiver menu set the speakers to "small", baddabing baddaboom, subwoofer kicks in.

thanks to you and chuck s. and dave p. for your replies.

so i'll offer this up for you, what would you suggest? i have a pair of boston acoustics a100 (circa '86, original owner) for fronts, and smaller bostons for center, rear and rear center, and a hsu (the tall tubular one) with the hsu sub amp (bag end if you look inside). go with the setting to small speakers to achieve sub output, or just keep it simple with the a100s? i have my subwoofer cutoff at 80hz.

thanks again guys, i _really_ appreciate it!

DN
    Cincinnati, OH

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Unless your main speakers are truly capable of reproducing very low bass (not many are), most suggest setting the speakers to small. This does three things:

1) It let's you keep the mains from straining to reproduce bass that they were not meant to handle (not really that critical because most speakers just roll off this bass, meaning it just never gets played).

2) Allows your sub to handle the frequencies it was made for, freeing up your mains to handle the frequencies they were made for.

3) Stops your receiver from trying to power the juice robbing low bass frequencies to speakers that cannot handle them. Since your receiver is now shunting all low bass to the sub out, it does not have to send the power for that low bass to the mains. Thus it has more reserve power for the mids and highs.